Compuer Won't Load Log-In Screen

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Compuer Won't Load Log-In Screen

This question is not answered

Dell Laptop runs on Vista.

The screen froze one day so I forced shutdown. When I tried to turn on again, I was brought to a page where you get the two options, regular start-up or start-up repair. The repair worked the first time, although it just keep running until I forced shut down again, 8 hours later.

Now, the repair option does nothing but blinks the screen for 2 secones. The regular start-up produces just a loading bar for 10 minutes. After which, a blue screen (not sure if it is THE blue screen since it flashes so quickly) flashes and the computer restarts, producing the two options again.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? At the least, I would love to be able to go in safe mode just to back everything up. Thanks.

All Replies
  • If you don't have a current backup, remove the hard drive, mount it in a 2.5" drive case, and attach it to a working system by USB.  Copy what you can read to that system's hard drive.  Then return the drive to the system, press F12 at powerup, and load the Dell diagnostics.  Let the quick test run, then boot to the 32-bit diagnostics and run an extended test on the hard drive.