Dell Latitude D610 Cd/DVD Drive problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Latitude D610 Cd/DVD Drive problem

This question is not answered

Hello,

I am having an issue with a recently purchased (2nd hand) Dell Latitude D610.

After purchasing with no OS, i installed Microsoft Windows XP SP2 on the system, then updated to SP3. I installed all drivers suplied by Dell for my Service Tag Number, yet my CD/DVD Drive is still not functional.

After searching for hours and hours, trying many different options including re-installing the device, updating firmware etc, it still does not work properly.

The problem is that it shows in My Computer but when i insert a disc into the drive, and open the drive in explorer, it shows as blank or gives me an error. 

Device Manager says that his device is fully functional ??Confused

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
BrockB

All Replies
  • That's weird, because if there really was a problem with the DVD drive, you wouldn't be able to install windows properly.

You didn't mention the Error message though. What's the exact error message that pops up when you try to ".. insert a disc into the drive, and open the drive in explorer, it shows as blank or gives me an error. .."

It's also possible though that the drive got damages after the OS(windows) has been already re-installed. That happened to one of my computers.

Another thing you can try, since you just installed the Windows, is download and run this utility from microsoft that you can find in this link

Or if you're familiar with editing registry, you can remove the upper/lower filters from regedit. 

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
      Start button
      , type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in thePrograms list.

User Account Control permission
       If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
      Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
    3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
    4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
    5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
    6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
    7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
    Note After you remove the UpperFilters registry entry and the LowerFilters registry entry, you may lose functionality in certain programs such as CD recording programs. In this scenario, you must reinstall any affected programs. If the problem recurs, contact the program vendor to determine whether an update is available for the program. 

If all else fails try booting to the Disc again using windows CD. If it does not boot to the CD anymore it may be time to replace your CD drive. 

http://xps-resource.blogspot.com

• xps-resource, thankyou very much for your reply.

The error message I receive is "DISK NOT FORMATTED: Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupt, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows"

The disk is formatted. It works on my desktop computer perfectly.

I have run the Utility that you suggested, and everything was successful but the error the utility suggested was that

"Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable (TSSTcorp CDRW/DVD TSL462C)"

The utility trys to fix this issue, but fails. No

I have attempted the registry edit, but there is no 'UpperFilters' or 'LowerFilters' values. Confused

Thanks again for your help.

BrockB

• AH YEAH HEY THERE MAN I GOT THE SAME LAPTOP N I INSTALLED WIN 7 N I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YOU ARE EVERYTHING WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY AND EVERY DEVICE WAS WORKING PROPERLY HERE I HAD TO DOWNLOAD A CODEC PAC FOR THE MEDIA PLAYER THEN IT WORKED, BUT BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU GET CAUSE SOME MAKE THE PLAYER ACT ALL GOOFEY, HOPEFULLY IT'S SOMETHING SIMPLE GOODLUCK MAN

• no puedo reprodusir dvd y ya le instale los driver