Laptop battery not charging

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Laptop battery not charging

This question is not answered

I just purchased and installed a 9 volt battery for my Inspiron 1501 purchased in 07.  With the previous battery, I get a window at logon that says the AC adapter is not recognized and therefor the computer will run slower and the battery will not charge.  After installing the new battery, I get the same error and the battery icon on the bottom right shows an empty battery.  When I click on the battery, it says 4% available, plugged in, not charging.  Can anyone lead me in the right direction on how to get the battery to charge?  It's new, I shouldn't be having any issues.  I went to download some recommended drivers and tried to do a BIOS but failed at downloading the info for some reason.  Thanks for any help, I'm really getting irritated at this laptop, battery and company!  No one should have to buy three batteries in three years at $155 each time!

All Replies
  • The Adapter error is not a batter y problem.  Try a new Dell adapter - if it doesn't solve the problem, then it's the mainboard that needs repair or replacement.

• I need a new laptop battery every year - though in my case laptop batteries have a pretty rough life on the road.

At first glance it might be the ID chip in the AC adapter gone sour.

Have a look at diagnosing why a laptop battery is not charging.

LaptopNomad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia

• After buying a new battery, I had intermittent trouble charging it. After two solid days of not charging, and Dell support saying I to pay $59 for diagnostics, I found this procedure.

1. Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager.

2. Expand the Batteries category.

3. Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall . WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.

4. On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes . Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes.

Windows will scan your computer for hardware that doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the battery is charging.

It worked. Many discussion forums relate this to Windows VISTA, but I have XP. Be sure you uninstall only Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery, not any other ACPI devices. 

• Yes, that worked for me as well, (winXP), but it lasted like one day. Now it is back to not charging. This all started after I reinstalled winXP, everything was working perfect up to then. I have a 1501 and its about 4 yrs old so I don't want to spend too much many. QUESTION: Are there any battery drivers available directly from Dell support center? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!