DELL INSPIRON 1546 PROBLEMS

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

DELL INSPIRON 1546 PROBLEMS

This question is not answered

I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH MY NEW DELL INSPIRON 1546 FOR OVER A MONTH NOW,WITHOUT ANY RESOLUTION FROM DELL.I WAS ON MY LAPTOP ONE NIGHT AND MY LAPTOP COMPLETELY SHUT OFF AND WOULD NOT COME BACK.i CONTACTED DELL SUPPORT LINE AND EXPLAINED TO WHAT HAPPENED AND THEY TOLD ME, WITHOUT DOING A DIAGNOSTIC OR REMOTE ACCESS, THAT IT WASN'T COVERED IN MY WARRANTY AND THAT I WOULD HAVE TO COME OUT OF MY POCKET OVER $250 TO REPAIR THE PROBLEM.I WAS ON THE PHONE WITH DELL FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES TRYING TO GET THEM TO DO SOMETHING SATISFY THE PROBLEM ,WHICH THEY DID NOT.

SO, I TOOK MY LAPTOP TO THE GEEK SQUAD, WHICH IS LOCATED INSIDE OF THE BEST BUY WHERE I PURCHASED IT. GEEK SQUAD KEPT MY LAPTOP FOR A WEEK IF NOT LONGER AND FINALLY CONTACTED TO COME IN TO PICK IT UP.WHEN ARRIVED THE NOTES FROM THE TECH THAT COULD NOT GET PASS THE PROBLEM BECAUSE IT KEPT GOING BACK TO THE BLACK SCREEN WITH THE FLASHING WHITE CURSOR IN THE TOP LEFT CORNER. SO, WHAT THEY BASICALLY DID WAS RESTORE TO AN EARLIER TIME,SOMETHING THAT I COULD HAVE DONE MYSELF. TO THIS DAY MY LAPTOP IS NOT PURCHASED, THE SCREEN FLICKERS WHEN I'M ON THE INTERNET,THE BOTTOM GETS EXTREMELY HOT, I DON'T HAVE ADOBE FLASH PLAYER WHEN ATTEMPT TO DOWNLOAD IT IT DOESN'T, I LOST SOFTWARE THAT I PURCHASED FOR MY LAPTOP INCLUDING SCHOOL INFO,PICS, AND PAID DOWLOADED MUSIC.

I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING GIVEN THE RUN AROUND AND THAT THEY DON'T FEEL LIKE DELL ISN'T DOING ANYTHING TO RESOLVE MY PROBLEM. THERE IS DELL REP WHO I'VE BEEN COMMUNICATING WITH WHO IS SENDING ME PACKAGING TO SHIP MY LAPTOP TO ONE OF THEIR REPAIR DEPOTS.I DON'T REALLY WANT TO SEND MY LAPTOP, BECAUSE WHO TO SAY ITS GONNA BE RETURNED TO ME MORE PROBLEMS.I FEEL THIS WILL TURNOUT TO BE "TOO ANY HANDS IN THE POT". WHAT I WANT TO HAPPEN IS FOR DELL TO REPLACE MY LAPTOP WITH A "NEW" LAPTOP AND "MAKE ME WHOLE" BY REPLACING THE SOFTWARE I LOST AND COMPENSATE ME FOR THE SCHOOL INFO,PICS AND MUSIC I LOST BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD PLEASE PLEASE RESPOND TO MY POST.

THANKS

All Replies
  • Please don't use all caps. It makes your post hard to read and is considered shouting--although I don't blame you for that considering what you have been through! You need to escalate your problem with Support. Did you register your Best Buy computer with Dell first? That's probably why you got the runaround when you first contacted Support. You should use the Unresolved issues link on the Support page. You should have insisted on a replacement machine instead of a repair order. I would try that now even though it's been over a month. Have your case number handy.

• I apologize Mary G, but I'm so upset that I don't know what to do. Yes, I registered my laptop with Dell and I don't have a case number.I recieved the packaging from Dell today, but I don't want to send my computer off to them. I wish I could just get a refund and buy a different brand of computer.Are laptops/computers normally sold without warranty coverage for the OS?

• Your refund rights are with Best Buy - check with them.  If you want your system repaired, take the system to Best Buy -- the Geek Squad does repairs on in-warranty Dells sold by Best  Buy.

Software/OS warranty on most brands of system now is for the first 90 days - even Apple software support beyond that period of time is at added cost.

• Thanks EJN63,I'm looking into Best Buy's return or exchange tomorrow and I've already taken it to Geek Squad whom informed me that OS problems are not covered under the warranty.I paid them $120 to restore my laptop, because they couldn't get pass the black screen with the flashing cursor. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of because I don't know anything about computers, I'm getting the run araound. I also saw a post in the forum where another person was experiencing the same problem but they were told it was the mother baud that went bad. If you all were me, what would you do?

• reIf the system is less than two weeks old, you can return it for a refund (though I believe BB charges  restocking fee). Otherwise, since you already received the shipping box, send it to Dell for repair.

• Does anyone have the direct number to dell's corporate office? Is this the correct  information to dell's corporate : Michael Dell, One Dell Way  Round Rock, Texas 78682

• I have the same problem, I didnt do anything to get the blank screen and i cant get out of it HELP me please

• If I were you I would return to the pIace I bought and get a refund or have it exchanged,if you're still within that time frame to do so. You are not gonna get anywhere but dizzy because of the run around they're going to give you. It's been over amonth I've been dealing with this problem and if I was able to return it for a refund or exchange i would in a heart beat. Don't let them send you shipping packaging to ship your computer in to send one of their repair depots, that doesn't sit easy with me at all, I don't trust Dell. Hope this helps a lil bit.

• I have the same problem, my screne went black and now it beeps, I have only had the laptop for 1year and 1 month and I bought it at best buy, I didn't use it much but lately I have used it for my schooling with in the last 3 months, so I took it to best buy to the geek squad and they wanted me to pay them $120.00 deposit and told me that they would call me, and let me know what was wrong. but if I didn't want them to fix it, I would not get my $120.00 back and it was a problem with the harddrive,\. I took to another repair shop and paid $30.00, they called me back,  and said it was the brain of the computer  and it would cost $400.00 to fix it with a new part, or they can try to fix the one that is there for $199.00, so I am alittle upset,  that I have to pretty much buy a new computer after only have mine for a year and 1 month. I have read about a lot of folks haveing problems with the model computer. I use to think that dell was a good brand but I don't think so anymore. Oh and I tried to contact dell but I can't seem to get a number for them I have emailed and have not recieved a respond. I thing it was a big rip off and I would never by another computer from dell again.