No External Display is Attached display won't go away

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

No External Display is Attached display won't go away

This question is answered

I have a Dell laptop-- Inspiron 1545 w/Pentium R Dual Core CPU.  Problem:  since yesterday, I'm typing and all of a sudden this message "No External Display is Attached" keeps popping up in the center of my screen.  I'm not doing anything unusual, just emailing and internet searches and general things like that.  It's a laptop, so I don't know what sort of external display it is referring to or why it thinks I need to attach one.  I've tried closing the lid to reboot, but it did not go away.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Press Function key with F8 to toggle between external and internal screens. If that doesn't work, open Display in Control Panel and check all the settings. Make sure you are not hitting the Function key while typing fast. You can get all sorts of odd behavior with shortcut keys. You should always post your operating system.

All Replies
  • Press Function key with F8 to toggle between external and internal screens. If that doesn't work, open Display in Control Panel and check all the settings. Make sure you are not hitting the Function key while typing fast. You can get all sorts of odd behavior with shortcut keys. You should always post your operating system.

• My laptop keyboard doesn't have F8 or any Function keys.  I looked at all my control panel display settings and could not find an answer there either.  I have no external screen...I'm only using my laptop as it came, no extra hardware except a printer and mouse, so I just can't imagine what it means when it says No External Display is attached....I'm not trying to attach one!  But thank you for trying to help, maybe I'm just not getting it.  Right now at this very moment, that warning is not present on my screen, but I'm sure it'll come back soon!  Thanks again!