New quirk with my Dell Laptop Inspiron 1525 (running Windows XP). About 2 weeks ago, this started happening. I have no idea why nor what to do about it. The only thing I can think is that when I recently reinstalled some audio drivers it came in with it. Now I can't get rid of it and it's driving me bonkers (had to disconnect the sound it was SO annoying)!

A pop-up box appears in the lower right and an icon appears in the Quick Launch bar. It says:

"THIS DEVICE CAN PERFORM FASTER This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a faster hi-speed USB 2 port."

When I double click on that, this Dialogue Box appears:

HI-SPEED USB Composite Device Attached To non-HI-SPEED Hub
The USB Composite Device is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port.

The hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support the HI-SPEED USB device.[Listed]
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A
- USB Root Hub (4 ports)
   Unused Port (a list of 4)

Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836
- USB Root Hub (6 ports)
  Unused Port (a list of 6)

Recommendation Disconnect the USB Composite Device from its current port and then connect it to one of the ports on a hub shown in bold type.

I have no idea how to disconnect this device. Any ideas are very much appreciated!

Thanks very much for any  help,

Kimberlee