Inspiron 6000 (I need to flash the bios)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 6000 (I need to flash the bios)

This question is not answered

I put a password in cmos. Now I cant for the life of me remember! I cant do ANYTHING! I need to flash the bios. Will someone please tell me how to flash the bios so I can acually use this laptop.

Thank you

All Replies
  • That will not work. The password will still be there. You will need to call Dell, pay $50 and be able to prove you are the owner of the laptop to get the master password to reset or clear it.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Big SmileThe simplest way to remove a BIOS password is to simply remove the CMOS battery. A computer will remember its settings and keep the time even when it is turned off and unplugged because these parts are powered by small battery inside the computer called a CMOS battery. If we pull out this battery, the computer will forget alot of its hardware settings, including its BIOS password. This should not be performed on Laptops if you are not experienced working with laptop hardware.

Smile Dell Optiplex 755 USFF 4Gig Ram,500 Gig HD,E-8400 C2D Cpu,AIO Monitor Dell 2007wfp

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit.

• datahog

Big SmileThe simplest way to remove a BIOS password is to simply remove the CMOS battery. A computer will remember its settings and keep the time even when it is turned off and unplugged because these parts are powered by small battery inside the computer called a CMOS battery. If we pull out this battery, the computer will forget alot of its hardware settings, including its BIOS password. This should not be performed on Laptops if you are not experienced working with laptop hardware.

Due to prevalence of theft, CMOS data on laptops is stored in Flash memory which is not effected by CMOS battery removal. If you don't understand how Flash memory works, Google it.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - XP SP3 / Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Is there any way to reset the BIOS password for my Inspiron 6000 without paying $59 to activate the warrenty for Dell to give me this password?   Considering this is my computer, I should not have to pay $60 bucks for a password reset.

Thanks

• gregory33

Is there any way to reset the BIOS password for my Inspiron 6000 without paying $59 to activate the warrenty for Dell to give me this password?   Considering this is my computer, I should not have to pay $60 bucks for a password reset.

Thanks

No there is no way. This is a sort of security mode. since you are most likely out of warranty the service will cost and you will have to be able to prove your are the owner of the laptop.

With the vast amount of laptops that are stolen each year this is not an uncommon procedure.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Contact me Via email I can help you clear your password.. < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >