Inspiron 1720 WIn 7 64-bit - cam not found

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron 1720 WIn 7 64-bit - cam not found

This question is not answered

Hi,

I recently reformatted and then installed Windows 7 ultimate and got pretty much everything working again, but now Windows 7 cant see my (integrated) webcam and it shows an "Unknown Device" under Universal Serial Bus controllers in device manager.   I downloaded the drivers for the webcam from the dell site and ran them, but no change.  If I delete the Unknown device - Windows 7 just finds it again and reports that it "has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)."  If i try to update the driver, it just tells me it is up to date.  I upgraded the BIOS and the chipset ... still nothing ... running out of ideas.

Can anyone help me get my cam back please as I do a lot of work on Skype and its a huge problem ?

Thanks

Garry

All Replies
  • PS - that tag is incorrect ..i have 4Gb of Ram ... just noticed it.

Garry

• For the unknown device... Right click on it select properties, select the details tab. in the Device description line select the hardware id's in the drop down and post the info that is shown. IT could be related.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Usually the unknown device is the ACPI Function Controller. I had that after upgrade and just disabled it as Dell has to cure it for my legacy machine and they won't. Not really found anything lacking from it.

As far as the camera is concerned, mine was Logitech which needed it's driver for the intergrated cam, the driver for quickcams, and the camera software.

XPS8300, i7-2600, 12GB DDR3 Ram, AMD HD 6770 Video, ST2420L Monitor, WIN 7 64bit Home Premium

• Hardware Ids:" USB\UNKNOWN "