Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Wireless connection will not switch on

This question is answered

My wireless connection is not working. I am having to use a cable.

Firstly, it would be helpful if somebody could tell me if I am right by pressing FN and F2 at the same time to switch on the wireless network.

This does not work for me.

Thank you.

I use Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop bought 9-6-08; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU; Windows 7 Home Premium (upgraded from Vista 28-1-11);

Windows Live Mail 2011; 32 bit OS; Ram 2.00GB; McAfee 3-User Total Protection; File System NTFS;

BT Broadband wireless connection, via BTHomeHub - 3 users (2 wireless, 1 cable). I am from the UK

Verified Answer
  • Fn+F2 disables the WIFI card - it's the same switch which can be available in the WIFI connection manager such as "turn radio off"

Then the WIFI network driver can be disabled at OS level. This can be seen in network connections if listed as disabled.

If the above is all switched on - the card should pick up a WIFI signal through the WIFI connection manager.

If nothing helps, consider testing the WIFI card by using a free OS - no need to install anything on the harddisk. (assuming it's not installed already)

If it works there, hardware is ok - and the problem a software issue.

LaptopNomad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia

All Replies
  • Fn+F2 disables the WIFI card - it's the same switch which can be available in the WIFI connection manager such as "turn radio off"

Then the WIFI network driver can be disabled at OS level. This can be seen in network connections if listed as disabled.

If the above is all switched on - the card should pick up a WIFI signal through the WIFI connection manager.

If nothing helps, consider testing the WIFI card by using a free OS - no need to install anything on the harddisk. (assuming it's not installed already)

If it works there, hardware is ok - and the problem a software issue.

LaptopNomad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia

• casha

Firstly, it would be helpful if somebody could tell me if I am right by pressing FN and F2 at the same time to switch on the wireless network.

This does not work for me.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Fn + F2 key commands part of the Dell Quickset Utility?    Or is it part of the System Software apps?   I'm drawing a blank here this morning.   Either way, both are available off of the Drivers & Downloads section of http://support.Dell.com.

• Thank you for replying. I am afraid that I do not understand the answers. I am not terribly good with wireless connections.

Background to my problem------For  some time now I have lost the wireless connection but it recovers after I restart the PC. Unfortunately, the last time  I lost the connection, I could not recover. BT took over my Dell Laptop this morning which ended with me connecting a cable beteen the Laptop and the BT Hub.

Connection was restored.  Therefore it is likely that the error is in the Dell Laptop.

Dell  Error messages-----Windows Network Diagnostics; message------"windows capability is turned off"-------" turn on wireless capability"

Does this mean that all we need to do is turn on the wireless cabability. If so, how do I do this?

Further  comments would be appreciated.  Basic language please.          Thank you.

I use Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop bought 9-6-08; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU; Windows 7 Home Premium (upgraded from Vista 28-1-11);

Windows Live Mail 2011; 32 bit OS; Ram 2.00GB; McAfee 3-User Total Protection; File System NTFS;

BT Broadband wireless connection, via BTHomeHub - 3 users (2 wireless, 1 cable). I am from the UK

• On our support pages, http://support.Dell.com, there is a section on networking and wireless networks.   Click on this link to get there.   Those pages have a lot of useful information that can help explain what you're looking for, I think.

Quick answer is to hold down the blue Fn key and then tap the F2 key.  That is the key sequence to turn wireless on and off.

• Thank you.

Holding down the blue Fn key and then tapping the F2 key didn't do anything. Should I do this at any time or say on boot up?

The Dell support pages did contain useful information but I could not find anything to tell me how to turn on the wireless capability. Fortunately, in the meantime, I am able

to work using the cable to the BT hub. If you are able to provide any other clues I would be grateful.