Dell Inspiron 1545 problems (Have error code)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1545 problems (Have error code)

This question is not answered

Hi, daughter bought a new dell inspiron 1545 laptop a week ago and today it will not turn on.

When you turn it on it just says Windows is loading files with a progress bar that goes right across the screen. After numerous attempts to turn computer on we left this running and after 3 hours the progress bar had not even moved a quarter of the way across the screen! I then turned laptop back on again and pressed F12 and ran diagnostics. This came back with the Error Code: 2000-0142 and the message Hardrive 0 self test unsuccesfull, Status:70

Of course this means nothing to me other than a problem with the hard drive is failing to boot the system.

Any ideas from anyone here? I have tried unsuccesfully to e-mail Dell technical as there is no clear way of doing this. When i put the service tag in and press submit, the website seems to want to scan my system to see which dell computer i am using. As my daughters laptop will not switch on i am not actually on it, not even using a dell computer. The only reason i am trying to e-mail them is that the Technical helpline is now closed.

Would appreciate any help or ideas with this problem

Thanks in advance

All Replies
  • Hi, Jeepboy71:

That error indicates a hard drive failure. Since your system is new, I'm afraid you have no choice but to wait until you can call for service.

• Many thanks for the reply, i will get on to them tomorrow!

Cheers

• You could try reseating the HDD into the connector, simple as unscrewing the cover and pulling it out then back in (power OFF 1st). Look for can/cylinder icon(s) underneath for the screw location(s). My 1521 has 4 screws and raised grip area to pull on.

Go ahead with a replacement anyhow, if that works for now.

• Hi thanks for the replies, she took it back and got a replacement. Everything is sorted.