Dell Inspiron 1545 touchpad

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1545 touchpad

This question is not answered

Hi

I am having problems disabling my Inspiron's touchpad.  The cursor jumps randomly so I am trying to use a USB mouse to avoid this problem.  I have tried the solutions offered elsewhere, eg right clicking the touchpad on the task bar (there is none on mine), hitting F2 to enter BIOS (I have tried many times but my F@ key seems to do nothing), mouse options/properties from control panel.  Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

All Replies
  • Welcome to the forums Yes

It sounds contradictory, I know - but you have to install/update the touchpad drivers, before you can disable the touchpad Hmm

Once the touchpad drivers are installed, open Control Panel --> Mouse --> Dell Touchpad. (<--- that menu button won't appear unless the drivers are installed)
    Click on the large screen with an arrow, which will open the touchpad configuration window.
    Click on 'Device Select', and right at the bottom is a box which you can tick to 'Disable Touchpad/Pointing Stick when a USB mouse is connected.
    As soon as you tick that option, a message will pop up in the taskbar, confirming your selection.

You can make doubly-sure however, by also choosing 'Disable' under the Touchpad' heading in the same window.

Be sure to click 'Apply' once you've made your selections Wink

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• Thanks for the advice but I now have an issue with the download as it crashes halfway through the 9mb file (four times so far!).  I was then advised that I should first download the lates chipset.  Again, halfway through, CRASH!

Six months in and I am regretting this model purchase but maybe it could be worse!  Even in this note, I have had to cut and paste 5 times.

Cheers

Any help welcomed

• I finally found a solution to the infamous problem of not being able to disable the Inspiron's touch pad after I upgraded from Vista to Win7 32bit.

I had to install an older touchpad driver to make this work.  The driver is Dell R165804, this driver is labeled "Dell Touchpad Driver for XP/2K and Vista 32" when I installed it in my Inspiron 1545 it added the Dell Touchpad tab to my mouse settings under the control panel. Then I opened the control panel, clicked "mouse",  under the Touch Pad tab click on the picture of the touch pad.   I was then able to click "Device Select" and check the box that says "Disable Touchpad when external USB device is present".

Now when the USB mouse is attached the touchpad is disabled and I don't have my cursor jumping around while typing due to my fat thumbs touching the mouse pad.

Hope this helps someone else out there!