32 or 64bit = ?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

32 or 64bit = ?

This question is answered

I need some help!

I have an Inspiron 6000 w/ Intel Pentium M Processor 735 (1.7Ghz/2MB cache/400Mhz FSB). How can I tell what whether my machine is a 32 or 64bit one? I can't find this info in any of my documemtation.......

Thanks,

Larry H.

Verified Answer
  • Hello,

To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

2. Click View and print details.

3. In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type. Under 64-bit capable, you can see whether you can run a 64-bit version of Windows. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)

To find out if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, do the following:

1. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

2. Under System, you can view the system type.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998
    Darrell's computer help and information web site
    My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• The Pentium M is a 32-bit CPU.  The Inspiron 6000 doesn't support any 64-bit CPUs.

All Replies
  • Hello,

To find out if your processor is 64-bit-capable, do the following:

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

2. Click View and print details.

3. In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type. Under 64-bit capable, you can see whether you can run a 64-bit version of Windows. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)

To find out if your computer is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, do the following:

1. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

2. Under System, you can view the system type.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998
    Darrell's computer help and information web site
    My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• The Pentium M is a 32-bit CPU.  The Inspiron 6000 doesn't support any 64-bit CPUs.