Can't connect external hard drive to Dell Latitude D600

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Can't connect external hard drive to Dell Latitude D600

This question is not answered

I've got an external hard drive (WD Passport) and I am trying to connect it to my Dell Latitude D600 laptop but it doesn't work. At first it didn't see anything in the USB port but after connecting and disconnecting it a few time it finally recognised the new hardware. But I didn't manage to use it as it shortly have me an error message "Power Surge On Hub Port. One of the USB device has exceeded the power limits".

I have tried the external hard drive on my husband's laptop (a Compaq) and it worked fine from the start.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I know this Dell is old (I've had it for 5 years) and I need to upgrade but I've got the external hard drive to get all my files, photos and music from this laptop. If it had a CD writer I could have put everything on CD's but it's that old that it only has a CD player :(

If anyone can help it would be great.

Thanks.

All Replies
  • Use a power supply if the drive has one - or a powered hub if it doesn't.  Alternatively you may use a dual-USB cable that can draw power from two USB ports.  A single port won't power the drive.