Inspiron 1545, BSOD, possible HD corruption

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1545, BSOD, possible HD corruption

This question is not answered

If the laptop is powered up, it tries to start Windows, the a blue screen quickly flashes by and it boots again.  Using advanced boot options to prevent an automatic restart allows me to see the error:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA80044114E0,0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0, 0)

Running the system diagnostics, I get this error:

Hard Drive - DST Short Test
Test Results: Fail
Error Code 2000-0146
Msg: test unsuccessful - status 70

If I boot to safe mode, the screen scrolls as it lists about 20 drivers that it loads, as far as:

Loaded: \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS

... before the system dies and reboots.

Chat #1 with Dell Tech Support ended at "you have to reinstall Windows."  Chat #2 with Dell Tech Support ended at " the hard drive is dead and needs to be replaced."  It seems to me that if it is able to list a long string of drivers that it is loading, then the hard drive is not dead (so chat #2 is necessarily wrong).  Chat #1 got to "you have to install the OS and blast the system" a little too quickly for my tastes -- we never even tried to recover the system.

I'm hoping that whatever problem there is, is minor enough that I can repair it with CHKDSK.  Without a bootable system, how can I run CHKDSK on the drive?  The "repair Windows" boot option doesn't work.  I can't boot to the hard drive itself.  Booting to the Dell-supplied Windows 7 disc leaves me with some fancy console that seems to get stuck.

Can I boot to an old XP boot disk, get to a command prompt, and will its CHKDSK work for the Windows 7 system?

All Replies
  • McFate,

Restart your computer and press F12 and run the fullk diagnostics tests. Report back any error messages. There are forum members here that know what the error messages mean.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• PudgyOne
    Restart your computer and press F12 and run the fullk diagnostics tests. Report back any error messages.

Thanks for the response.

When I did that, I got the same error as reported previously:

Hard Drive - DST Short Test
    Test Results: Fail
    Error Code 2000-0146
    Msg: test unsuccessful - status 70

I tried booting to an XP CD, to get to the Windows XP Recovery Console (which gives a command prompt and access to CHKDSK)... but it hangs instead of coming up properly.  My recollection is that it would ask for the Administrator password -- maybe the security is different enough on Windows 7 that it can't start up.

• McFate,

It's what it actually says, your Hard drive failed. Uou'll need to get another hard drive and replace it.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer

Will help when you get the new hard drive.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Assuming possible hard disk failure, rescue valueable data first before trying to write to the disk.

This can be done by removing the drive, put in an external USB drive enclosure and try to copy valuable info.

If data can be accessed through USB, there is reason to do more testing.

If it fails in USB enclosure, you most likely own a dead disk.

After a successful rescue, do a full surface scan using CHKDSK or simllar tool.

LaptopNomad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia