Vostro 1510 not charging battery - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Vostro 1510 not charging battery

Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Vostro 1510 not charging battery

This question is not answered

Last night I was using my vostro 1510.  The battery was at 37% and I noticed the battery meter on Windows 7 wasen't rising.  I hovered over it and I got a message "plugged in, not charging".  I rebooted, and shutdown.  I found when the computer is completely off and I plug in the A/C adaptor, the blue battery light would light up for a couple of seconds then cut off.....  (So the battery was not charging when the system is completley off).  I tested the adaptor by removing the battery and I could power the system with just the adaptor.  I went into the bios and with the adaptor plugged in It shows "AC Adaptor type: None".

Last night I left the a/c plugged in and when I woke up the battery was not charged.  I removed it and plugged it back in and it started acting normal and started to charge the battery.  The BIOS even shows a 95W adaptor.  I noticed it started charging the battery when the battery only had 37% life.

What does this indicate, is it normal.

All Replies
  • Most likely you have a defective DC socket on the system board, an expensive repair. First borrow another adapter to make sure yours is OK. The DC socket has a number of small weak solder connections, which are easy to break if the DC power plug exerts much torque on the socket.

XPS M1530, Windows 10 AU Pro 32-bit
    Inspiron E1705, Windows 10 AU Pro 32-bit
    Dimension 9100, Windows 10 AU Pro 32 bit
    Inspiron 660, Windows 10 AU 64 bit
    Compaq DX 4370G, Windows 10 AU 64 bit
    Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 AU 32 bit