Latitude E6500 Touchpad faulty?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Latitude E6500 Touchpad faulty?

This question is not answered

Hi Everybody

My first post here so desperately hoping to find a solution to a problem thats rendering my new Latitude "Unfit for purpose"...

The touchpad on my new Latitude E6500 is seriously flakey. So far, I've tried Vista business, and now Windows 7 only to find that the "touchpad" on it is not working at all.

When the laptop boots up at the login screen, the touchpad doesnt work at all, if I try to touch click the login button with no password, nothing happens, yet I can left click the actual button and that works giving me the "Password is incorrect" message, so that tells me the touchpad isnt working "pre-login", yet strange enough, I can click on the "ok" button with the touchpad to acknowledge this error.... weird so far...

So, after I login properly it gets really weird...

I cant click on any icon at all in the taskbar, cant click the windows start menu, no shortcut icons are clickable, both with touchpad and/or buttons, nor with a USB plugin mouse either, and I can NOT select anything on the desktop with a single touchpad tap.

I CAN single & double click desktop items with the pad button, but nothing from the touchpad whatsoever, unless I tap it about 20 times, then it randomly selects or even opens stuff if I keep tapping, making it un-usable.

Now, if i "CTRL/ALT/DEL" I have to double click with the button "Start task manager" but opening then closing my task manager then brings the taskbar to life and I can actually click on the start menu and any quicklaunch icons, but again, not with the touchpad, only with the buttons.

So, I open up the dell website and put my mouse cursor over the "Support for business users" "Start here" button and before I even click, its rapidly opening endless new browser tabs as if I were right clicking and selecting "Open in new tab", and within 10 seconds I have 30 tabs opened...

If I hover my mouse over the end of each tab, its closing them all, as if something is left clicking everything I hover over.
Hovering over the tabs, you can see them flickering as if I were constantly clicking them rapidly, and within about 1 minute, there all closed again.

I have just about had it with this problem now and its getting to the point of throwing the laptop under a bus if I didnt pay do much for it because it renders the entire laptop unfit for purpose.

I have installed all the correct windows 7 drivers direct from the dell website (Eventually, after much clicking and difficulty working with a faulty mouse) and only by un-installing the mouse driver via keyboard, only to find windows installs its own one every time I do this which puts me right back at square 1 again with the same problem, so even the default wiindows driver, and the dell touchpad driver both cause the same problem...

I have tried to get this working with both Vista business, and Windows 7 fresh installs (Not dualboot)

Does anybody have any known working solution for this problem at all?

All Replies
  • Just to add too that I cant drag anything either using the left click touchpad button and anytime I open a window, clicking on it with the touchpad left button actually takes the focus away from that window leaving it totally useless.