I have a Dell Latitude D610 which will not turn on. The 3 centre lights come on for a few seconds but then turn of again. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do. It is out of warranty and I live in Melbourne. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Can you get a test replacement battery? We had a few at work and if memory serves me correctly they won't turn on if the main battery is completely dead or can't be charged. I could be wrong, so I wouldn't go out and spend money on a new battery, but if you have easy access to one it might be a place to start.
I also recall quite a few going in for repairs because they wouldn't charge the batteries anymore, and that required a motherboard replacement. It seemed to be a common problem among the 600-610 ies.
Keyboard lights serve as output of POST.
I'd remove all memory first and see if the capslock light starts blinking on power-on.That indicates a working POST.
If 2 memory modules, reseat 1 and try again. If nothing reseat the other. If nothing put both back.
Do the same for PCI card, GPU, CPU and CMOS battery.
If that doens't solve the problem, most likely the MOBO is fried.
Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia
My laptop issue is almost the same as everyone elses,but not quite.6 months ago,tequila and orange juice spilt all over/around it.windows still loaded like a charm,but dvdburner,ethernet outlet,and wifi stopped working,permanently.Earlier this week my screen froze on me from out of nowhere.I turned it off and powered it back on manually.It comes on for 3-4 seconds everytoime and then shuts off.This is a repeative process over and over.On the 8-10th try,it will load windows,but will freeze completely again,for good.I wait it out.It still stays frozen.I just noticed my fan isn't coming on at all.It's a dell latitude d610.Give me specific insight on what the issue is.I want this thing up and running again,soon.
Liquid on the motherboard can cause all sorts of erratic behaviour and might get worse overtime due to corrosive effects.
(ulta-sound) Cleaning a MOBO can help, though the damage is usally irrversable.