Dell 1505 Draft N wireless card driver under Windows 7

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell 1505 Draft N wireless card driver under Windows 7

This question is not answered

I have a XPS M1330 which I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit.  Following the upgrade, I found I wasn't able to reliably (mostly not ever) access or even see Wireless N routers which were using the 5GHz band.  I confirmed this with two different routers (Apple Airport Express and  Linksys WRT610n).

Ultimately, what I found corrected the problem was to uninstall the driver for the Dell 1505 wireless card (and check the box to delete the driver files) via Device Manager.  When Windows "re-discovered" the card and installed drivers from its driver store, I was able to associate with the 802.11n router fine.

I made the mistake of allowing Windows Update to install an "updated" driver and my problem came back so I had to go back and redo all those steps again.   It appears that the driver titled "Broadcom driver update for Dell 1505 Draft N WLAN Mini-Card" has issues.

I tried to get help for this issue with XPS Technical Support and was told that this was an "advanced software configuration" issue and I would have to be handed off to a fee-for-service tech support group to deal with it.  I can't say, particularly given how I was able to fix the problem, that I consider this an issue that XPS tech support should not have handled (or been able to handle).  This is the first time I've had a bad experience with XPS tech support on an issue.

All Replies
  • Thanks that solves my problem when I did the free upgrade to Windows 7.  I was unable to connect or upgrade my windows 7 and XPS customer service refused to refund and return the 1505 Lan wireless I had spent $70 to  upgrade in October.

I had the same terrible bad experience with the XPS tech that I have decide not to buy Dell (having purchased six previous with not one problem).  I believe Dell is totally unaware of problematic outsourcing of customer service which has policy of refuse to refund at all cost and to sell added services(for $90.00 you can upgrade to a technical service rep from United States) and various computer products to an already unhappy customer.

• Thank you for the simple, easily-overlooked solution.  I too recently upgraded my Dell notebook/laptop (Latitude D630) from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  Initially the (Broadcom) Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card was able to connect to my Linksys/Cisco WRT610N router using 802.11n (5 GHz) with no problem, but after letting Windows 7 "update" the driver for the wireless card, I could only utilize 2.4 GHz.  So, thanks for sharing your solution, as it works!  Now onto making sure that "automatic updates" with Windows 7 doesn't cause the problem to reoccur.