Replaced Battery won't charge for Dell Inspiron 1525

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Replaced Battery won't charge for Dell Inspiron 1525

This question is not answered

After about 18 months of using my 1525, the battery suddenly stopped being charged.  After reading the forums I saw that the 6-cell batteries were notorious for sudden failure and had very poor ratings. So I just bought the replacement 9-cell battery. "85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 1525, Customer installed", I got it two 2 days ago. Anyway, when I run the laptop off the battery it works, but now the power is only 5% (Battery LED flashes orange). When I run the laptop of the charger, it runs fine too. However, when the battery won't charge at all (whether the laptop is on or off). I went throught the full on-line battery trouble shooting session on the Dell site. In the end it directed me to dell support.

Since my warrantly ended 6 months ago I thought I would ask "the forum" if there is anything I can do to make this new battery charge.

BTW, I am using the original 1525 charger: Pow: 65W, P/N: YT886, Model: FA65NS0-00 and the battery LED won't come on and the system tray battery icon says the battery has "5% charge, not charging". I have also tried my work laptop's charger: Pow: 90W, DP/N: DF266, Model: LA900PS0-00 and it has now effect (no Battery LED light on etc.) either.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

All Replies
  • Try it in a similar laptop and see if it's the same there. If so the battery is toast. However there's usually more to it.

Dell uses the Smart Battery System - the battery has a microcontroller with flash memory inside to keep track of it's state.

During manufacturing battery cells and micro-controller meet for the first time - a reset takes place - voila a new battery pack is born.

This reset might be the magic wand to many battery problems

LaptopNomad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia