4 short beeps

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

4 short beeps

This question is not answered

I just reinstalled Windows on a Dell Inspiron 9400.  I downloaded the latest drivers and bios and installed them.  I am now getting 4 short beeps when the computer is booting up.  What does this mean?

Thank you!

All Replies
  • That's BIOS trying to tell you there's something wrong before it can print anything on the screen.

That's why it's using beeps.

Look in your documentation for the meaning of 4 beeps.

At least it came through POST, else it would present a flash code at the keyboard lights.

Did you upgrade your BIOS also?

LaptopNomad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia

• I don't know where the documentation is for this laptop and I tried searching online for the meaning of 4 beeps but couldn't find it.  I did upgrade the BIOS.  

• See the support section of the DELL site for manuals.

Case the laptop plays dead after BIOS upgrade, seems to me the upgrade went sour.

Recovery from dead bios is a lot of reading and trying.

Good starting point is here http://www.wimsbios.com - go to the forum

LaptopNomad
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extreme Laptop travel in the Middle-East and Asia

• I ended up running the Dell Diagnostics utility, not really expecting a result from it, but worth a try since I didn't have time to do much else to it yesterday.  It ended up coming back with a keyboard error, one of the keys was stuck.  And that was the problem.   :P

• If the BIOS update did complete (i.e., you CAN boot the system):

Remove the battery and power.  Hold the power button for 30 seconds and restart.  If the beep continues, reseat the memory modules and video card -- if it continues thereafter, you have either bad memory or a bad video card.

If the system DOES NOT POST to a boot screen and the BIOS update did not complete, replace the system board.