Windows 7 drivers for Dell Studio 1537

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Windows 7 drivers for Dell Studio 1537

This question is not answered

Will the Windows 7 drivers be offered by Dell? I saw that some laptops already have drivers for Widows 7, but Studio 1537 doesn't. I have some unknown hardare detected by 7 and I don't have the necessary drivers for it. Any help would be appreciated.

All Replies
  • I suspect Win 7 drivers will be eventually issued since this system only (now) supports Vista.  In most cases the Vista drivers are all that's needed.  I had the Win 7 RC1 installed on my older Dimension E510 desktop (older than your 1537) and all the Vista drivers worked with Win 7. 

How did you install the Win 7?  There are two chipset drivers listed on the Dell downloads (Intel motherboard and a Ricoh driver), and when installing the chipset drivers MUST be installed BEFORE installing device drivers. 

Finally, although I suspect Dell will eventually have Win 7 drivers (if Vista drivers are a problem) but keep in mind Dell, like other PC vendors, is in the business of selling new PC's.  Also, as Win 7 doesn't officially release until Oct 22nd maybe by then Dell will have drivers.  When Vista was released some models, that Dell supported for Vista, took several months for Vista drivers to be released.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thank you for the provided information.

• MS forced me to install Windows 7 Pro vs upgrading from Vista Home Premium 64bit which is what I wanted to do. After installing Windows 7 from scratch loading all the vista drivers, win 7 runs slower than Vista and hands a lot on program like IE, Outlook, Task Manager, computer management, iTunes, Firefox, and the list goes on. Muti-tasking is terrible regularly get the "busy" signal and have had to reboot several times after no response for 15 min. I also upgraded my daughters Dell 1520 with XP did a clean install and she is experiencing the same problem and wants to to restore back to factory OS and I'm planning the same thing. I'm an applications systems engineer by trade and have been a technical person for over 25 years experience MS upgrades from dos to windows 3.0, 3.1, ME, 95, 98, NT, XP, Vista and now windows 7. This by far has been my worst experience with upgrading and the disappointment of no improvement in my opinion. I was much better off with Vista Home Premium 64bit. I did not have any system hands, application hands, Multi-tasking everything worked. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 for the new features and regret doing so. Dell is always behind in getting updated drivers out, not that is should make much of a difference. The only two drivers I was not able to get working was the build in Ricoh flash driver reader and the finger scanner. Keep in mind when all of my problems happen I get no error messages and sometimes the applications work and sometimes they don't but one thing that is consistent is the slowness. I'm always aware of waiting for an application to open that I just double clicked on. Never experience that in Vista or XP. Yes I kick myself thinking about what I say to others "Never buy a X.0 version of any application especially and OS" but I thought this time MS would get it and make the upgrade flawless to lesson the material for Apple commercials. Apple is going to have a blast with this.

• carneyja

MS forced me to install Windows 7 Pro vs upgrading from Vista Home Premium 64bit which is what I wanted to do. After installing Windows 7 from scratch loading all the vista drivers, win 7 runs slower than Vista and hands a lot on program like IE, Outlook, Task Manager, computer management, iTunes, Firefox, and the list goes on. Muti-tasking is terrible regularly get the "busy" signal and have had to reboot several times after no response for 15 min. I also upgraded my daughters Dell 1520 with XP did a clean install and she is experiencing the same problem and wants to to restore back to factory OS and I'm planning the same thing. I'm an applications systems engineer by trade and have been a technical person for over 25 years experience MS upgrades from dos to windows 3.0, 3.1, ME, 95, 98, NT, XP, Vista and now windows 7. This by far has been my worst experience with upgrading and the disappointment of no improvement in my opinion. I was much better off with Vista Home Premium 64bit. I did not have any system hands, application hands, Multi-tasking everything worked. I wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 for the new features and regret doing so. Dell is always behind in getting updated drivers out, not that is should make much of a difference. The only two drivers I was not able to get working was the build in Ricoh flash driver reader and the finger scanner. Keep in mind when all of my problems happen I get no error messages and sometimes the applications work and sometimes they don't but one thing that is consistent is the slowness. I'm always aware of waiting for an application to open that I just double clicked on. Never experience that in Vista or XP. Yes I kick myself thinking about what I say to others "Never buy a X.0 version of any application especially and OS" but I thought this time MS would get it and make the upgrade flawless to lesson the material for Apple commercials. Apple is going to have a blast with this.

I find that quite strange as I installed Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)  on my Dell 1537.  The install went smoothly and the performance is exceptional.  I don't know if Apple is going to have a blast with this as clearly you are doing something wrong.

I am though looking for Windows 7 Quickset (64 bit).

• Your install is completely different from mine. I stated that I tried to upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit  to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. You upgraded from Vista Home Premium 64bit to Windows 7 home Premium 64bit which Microsoft allows. When I ran Win 7 upgrade adviser back in April and no problems were reported then after I was not able to upgrade I downloaded the Win 7 adviser again and ran it and now it reports that I can only upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate.

First why would Microsoft only allow certain upgrades based on previous versions of Vista this is completely stupid in MS part. I can completely understand the 32bit vs 64bit upgrade but I as the consumer should be able to upgrade from any version of Vista to any version of Windows 7 keeping the same bits 32 or 64.

And why would MS who wants to shut down XP make so that an XP user would have to do a complete re-install vs an upgrade. Do they think people really only have files to back up and restore to the clean OS install? Really! no first MS does not allow you export Outlook 2007 email accounts for which I have 6 that I had to reenter again including mail rules. Oh yeah what about my Turbo tax what a joy I get to reinstall it again and get all the messages about being out of date and what about my Lojak Lucky me I get to install this over again and the list goes on and on and on and most of my programs require registration.

My daughter plays many games on her XP PC and has built up many levels and collected many points and skill levels and now MS wants me to do a fresh install if I want to upgrade to Windows 7 who want to lose all the hours of game play just to upgrade to the next version of Windows.

Again thanks MS for taking at least 40 hours out of my life just to do fresh installs of windows 7 on three laptops what a great user experience I can't wait for the next OS from MS NOT!