Backup Restore Partition

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Backup Restore Partition

This question is not answered

Hi,

I've just got a second hand Dell 1501. I'm looking to install Ubuntu 9.10 on it, but before I do I want to make a backup of the restore partition on the hard drive, so I can return the machine to vista if I get rid of it in the future.

I've seen there is a Dell utility for backing up hard drives, can it be dowloaded ?

Thanks

All Replies
  • There is no Dell backup utility that I know of.  Dell provides the OS and Drivers and Utilities disc with new PC's and if the Dell Recovery Partition is corrupted or a new hard drive is installed the users must use the Dell provided discs.  Some other Vendors such as HP and Gateway do or at least used to have a utility to create backup discs from the recovery partition.   Most of the Techie's here, including myself, use Acronis True Image Home to backup.  I backup my entire hard drive including the two Dell partitions (recovery and diagnostic) and my "C" drive to a separate hard drive.  As I do periodic full (not incremental) backups I have everything to completely recover the disk image.  I've also used the Acronis full drive back up when I upgraded to a larger size hard drive.

If the Dell OS and Drivers and Utilities discs are missing, check with the original owner.  Dell will provide a free (one time) copy of the discs but only to the registered (with Dell) user.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.