Blue Screen after Windows 7 login

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Blue Screen after Windows 7 login

This question is not answered

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Dell Vostro 1320 laptop with Vista Home Basic. I formatted and reinstalled Windows 7 Professional on it. It's been working great for the first 3 weeks. However, just recently, when I was prompted to update some drivers, I started having issues upon OS startup.

After the BIOS loads and I enter my User login password , I received the BSoD. Unfortunately the blue screen doesnt stay long enough before my computer restarts itself, so I am unable to write down the stop code. After the restart, I can log in without an issues. But if I leave my computer shut off for a longer period of time, I will receive the BSoD again. It will restart, and then 'repair' itself. This is a major inconvenience.

I do have memory dumps, but I am unable to open them. System restore also doesnt work so I cannot revert back! Can anyone have a look at this? I am thinking it may be a driver issue.

Thanks!

All Replies
  • I managed to retrieve the stop code:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8AE5D018, 0x8D327B9C, 0x8D327780)

wdf01000.sys - Address 8AE5D018 base at 8AE1D000, Datestamp 4a5bbf28

What is the issue here?

• I don't have an answer, but I wanted to chime in with a similar story. My work purchased a Dell Vostro 1720 with Windows 7 Professional 32-bit installed a few weeks ago. I managed the setup and installation of software; pretty bare bones, an OpenVPN client and some mapped network drives. Everything was working fine for a few days before the recipient of the laptop started letting me know about Blue Screens happening after logging in.

Win 7 was set to autoupdate, and he said it has installed updates a few times when he shut down, so it's possible an updates started causing this.

I did a bit of poking around in the dump files Win7 creates and found the file Apfiltr.sys is apparently to blame. This is the driver for the touchpad, so it's possible there's a conflict there somehow. I'm going to boot into safe mode, rename the offending file, and see if that gets me better results. I'll let you know what I find.

BTW, if you'd like to check out your minidumps you should be able to follow the process I did: (All done as an Administrator)

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx and download the current release version for 32-bit. Install that.

Open Explorer and go to C:\Windows\minidump to find your dumps. I copied mine to my Desktop to avoid permission issues. I probably didn't have to do that, but I didn't feel like messing around with the permissions either.

Go Start -> type 'cmd' in the search bar and press Enter. Type 'cd "c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)" (or whatever directory the above program got installed into)

Type: windbg -y srv*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols -i c:\windows;c:\windows\system32;c:\windows\system32\drivers -z EnterLocationOfMinidumpFilesHere

That should open the Windows debug program. When it has loaded everything it'll say something like "Followup: MachineOwner"

Type !analyze -v (or click the link that says the same thing). That should spit out a bunch of stuff that includes a sys file that *might* be the cause of the problem. I'm curious if you're seeing the same system file in your dumps.

• I also used this link for the tip about renaming the file. A shot in the dark, but could be worth it.

• If the touchpad driver is your culprit, getting rid of the installed Alps driver seemed to clear up the Blue Screens but, of course, broke the mouse. I tried installing a couple different versions of the driver. Some didn't work at all, some worked intermitently. I think I ended up using this one and the laptop's user has reported good results for the last 2 days. As always, YMMV. This search is a good place to look for new (well, old really) drivers.