Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I just reinstalled windows on my Inspiron 9200 laptop. I don't have any of the original discs that came with it, so I'm just using a regular copy of windows xp home. So i tried to install the Notebook System Software, since I think that's the first driver you have to install. When i try to do this, It says "This computer does not support this operating system". So I am wondering if i have to use a certain version of Windows for this Dell laptop, and if so what is it? Thanks for your help
The correct Notebook System Software has the following details:
File name: R96945.EXE
Version: 3.11.0, A18
Release date: 4/28/2005
The above mentioned file should install with no problems.
This system was designed for Windows XP, so that is fine. Install the first four of the following drivers in order, the others should also be installed, but order is not critical and they may be omitted if you don't use the devices they control.
Go to https://support.dell.com/support/downloads/ and use your service tag to select the system. This will ensure that you get the correct drivers for the components in you system, as some things, particularly internal wireless cards, can be difficult to identify.
1. Chipset driver: http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R86238.EXE
2. Video Driver: http://ftp.us.dell.com/video/R106668.EXE
3. System software: http://ftp.us.dell.com/utility/R96945.EXE
4. Quickset (volume and brightness indicators, battery health, etc): http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/R97343.EXE
5. Wired network driver: http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R86360.EXE
6. Wireless network driver: Go to the network section of the drivers page and select the one for the card you have, there are several. If you entered the service tag to get to this page, you should only see the one originally ordered with the system.
7. SD card reader utility: http://ftp.us.dell.com/utility/R86531.EXE
8. Touch pad: http://ftp.us.dell.com/input/R113813.EXE
9. Sound system: http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R99254.EXE
10. Modem, this may have been optional and so may not be present: http://ftp.us.dell.com/comm/R85457.EXE
The Notebook System Software must be installed first, before any drivers. Secondly install the Chipset Driver. See the Dell information HERE.
Got everything working, thanks for you help, much appreciated!
Glad to have been of help. Many thanks for feedback.