IDE device failed - Error Code 0F00:133E - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

IDE device failed - Error Code 0F00:133E

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

IDE device failed - Error Code 0F00:133E

This question is not answered

I have had my Inspirion 600M notebook computer for a few years now and after a reboot, I received and error code (don't remember what the original code was) however when I ran the diagnostics on it - I received the following error message during the diagnostic

IDE Disk S/N = NN15T511WE46 - Confidence Test

Performing the drive's internal self-test

No additional sense information

Test Results : Fail

Error Code 0F00:133E

Msg:  IDE device failed:  A possible failure is predicted by the drive's S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) status.  It is advisable to immed!

Who can help me know what this means and what I have to do to fix it.  I have several presentations that I did not back up on this computer that I need (I know stupid me) within the next few weeks and would like to be able to retrieve them.

All Replies
  • The drive is faulty.   To attempt recovery of your files, mount the drive in a 2.5" USB 2.0/EIDE ( not SATA) external case - $10-20 from newegg.com, etc.,  and attach it to a working system by USB.  See if you can read some or all of your data.  If you can, copy the files to the host system's hard drive.  If you can't read the data, you'll have to decide whether to redo the presentations or have a data recovery service look at the drive (which will run well into four figures in dollars).

For a replacement drive, you need a 2.5" 9.5 mm EIDE notebook drive, 120 G or smaller.

• thank you - I will try that.  I appreciate the help