Three months ago, I bought a refurbished lease Latitude d610 from Dell Direct on Ebay. It arrive in great shape with XP Prod, SP2, 30 gb HD, 512 MB memory.

I up graded the ddr memory to 2 GB - still no problems.

About three weeks ago, it slowed significantly and when processing made a low clicking noise (HD?). Got error msg that I could not log on,  - corrupted file ( something 32.dll) - didn't write it down.

Anyway, I wiped the hard drive, used the XP recovery disk, reinstalled XP, added Dell drivers and wireless apps as instructed by the tech at Dell Direct (actually Dell Financial Services). The 610 seemed to be fine, up and running for 10 days or so then the same process repeated

I got two different error msgs when I tried to log in. After the XP splash screen stayed up for two minutes, I got this msg:

Normal 0

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024  (0x001902FE, 0x89E63B6C, 0x89E63868, 0xBA636806)

***            Ntfs.sys  -  Address  BA636806 base at 623000, Datestamp 48025beS

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance"

I then tried to reboot and got this msg:

Normal 0

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

"Stop: c00021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}

The Windows logon process  system process terminated unexpectedly

with a status of 0x0000135  (0x00000000  0x00000000)

The system has been shut down"

The computer was making the ticking noise (lower left side on unit. I call the tech guy at DFS and he said it sounded like it could be a bad HD. I did an F12 and ran Diagnostics. Everything seemed to pass until I got a msg that said (paraphrase) Diagnostic Partition not found. Insert Drivers CD and reboot. Of course, I didn't get a Drivers CD from Dell, only an XP recovery disk.

The HD is a 30GB IDE.

Any ideas as to what's going on? How I can best proceed? Any sense of  what it might cost to get this 610 healthy and running?

I'd be most grateful for any and all help.

David