Windows 7 Light Sensor Drivers (Latitude D820)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Windows 7 Light Sensor Drivers (Latitude D820)

This question is not answered

Windows 7 includes a new "sensor framework", one of which is native support for ambient light sensors such as the one in the Latitude D820.  After installing Windows 7, no sensor is displayed and Device Manager does not show any drivers missing.

It looks as though the light sensor is entirely controlled within the BIOS and not exposed as a device to the Operating System. Has anyone gotten it to work? I'd like to do some programming with the sensor framework and test it out.

I also can't find any way to configure the light sensor aside from turning it on or off - for example, I can't disable the light sensor or have it operate differently when connected to AC.

All Replies
  • If you install quickset (you'll need to use the vista version installed in compatibility mode), you'll get software access to the sensor and can set its sensitivity.  On my lat D430 with win 7, I can control the sensor, even on AC, with FN Left Arrow (which has a picture of a sun with the word "auto").

There is no integration with the sensor framework.  Dell has not released a win 7 compatible QuickSet version for D series latitudes, and I somehow doubt that they ever will.

Latitude D430
    Dimension 9150
    Dell 1815dn Printer