Touchpad not working properly on XPS M1530 - does not scroll

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Touchpad not working properly on XPS M1530 - does not scroll

This question has suggested answer(s)

I had a problem with my system, contacted Dell tech support, they had me disable a bunch of things on my system configuration, and now my touchpad does not scroll, the buttons and everything else work but no scrolling ability. Any suggestions?

All Replies
  • Hello, I found solution to this so I really want to share it with the forum.

I had the same problem: after the OS reinstallment, the touchpad did not scroll ((.

So!! I downloaded drivers from Synaptics and it did not help scrolling!!!!

here is what I did that worked PERFECTLY, maybe my experience will help others:

1.  I went to the Dell - Support - Drivers and Downloads

2. found my computer (Dell Latitude D600) thru the Chose a Model. 

3. Waited till the web site recognizes my  Windows XP

4. Chose Mouse&Keyboards in the Category

5. It suggested ALPS Touch Pad

6.  Install Alps following the instructions.

BINGO! I have my SCROLLING BACK!!! And it is genuine dell's one, so I trust it )

(after restarting computer it asked me to delete the previous driver (synaptics))

• Thank you so much! I've been trying so many other ideas and nothing, but this one did it.

Cheers.

• Currently i am having the scrolling problems you have mentioned, only it started occurring when i switched from Vista to 7. I tried following your steps, only for step 4 there is no "Mouse and Keyboards " category. Any suggestions?

• My problem also occurred when I switched from Vista to 7. When you are looking for your driver, after choosing your model, it will come up with a list of peripheral options to determine the driver you need. These include: monitor, USB, network card, etc. It should give you an option for "Mouse and Keyboard." The only reason I can't see this working is if there are no new drivers for these, but that is improbable. Maybe the drivers fall under a subcategory, in this case look for "Input Devices" or "Human Interface Devices."  If this doesn't work, try a different way to find the drivers; Dell gives you three options: Enter Tag, Select Model and My System List.

If this doesn't work, I would communicate directly with Dell and ask them to give you a link or send you the file you need for your keypad.

Hope that helps.

• While talking to XPS support on the phone in regards to a unrelated problem ( my speakers stopped working ), i asked about the pad. They said there are no drivers out there at the moment, and to keep an eye out for new ones coming out =/.

• I still have the file I downloaded from Dell for my XPS M1530. If you give me your email address, I will email it to you.

• Hi guys!

I have just recently downloaded Driver 7.1007.115.102 from the Dell support page. Unfortunately scrolling does not seem to work even though it says it is enabled on the Control Panel.

Should I have uninstalled the previous Driver before installing the new one?

I have decided to roll back the Driver and this has seemed to solve that problem but I am wondering if there is a fix to my solution other than the one I have used?

Specs: xps m1530 - Win 7 32 bit

Regards

Mysterious

• I don't think it is necessary to uninstall the previous one, that's usually not the case unless it tells you to specifically do it. I recently reformatted my Dell XPS m1530 (I like to do that every 6 months) and downloaded the drivers and it worked fine. However, I am running Windows 7 64-bit (the xps 1530 is 64-bit capable) which I suggest you should do if you can. While only some hardware may not function with 64-bit - like my Targus port-replicator!!!! - it's worth the upgrade as it allows for up to 8GB memory if you need to go that far.

I am presently running 7.102.115.101 driver.

Hope that helps.

*If he previous driver was working, why not stay with it unless its an obvious security risk?

• Hi Guys!

Thanks for the reply Miguel! I've decided to just stick with the current driver: 7.1.102.7

I'll also probably upgrade my xps later this year to x64. With the Aussie Dollar climbing against the Greenback I'll be able to pick up the software and hardware cheaper overseas.

Regards

Mysterious

• Hi miguel.simon

can you sen me touch pad scrolling driver for xps???

this is my ID: <ADMIN NOTE: Email Id removed per privacy policy>

thank you!!