Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

AC Adapter - Alert - "AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined"

This question is not answered

This is a common problem (I see lots of posts)

The problem source is the [Dell] AC adapter.  PA-21 Family, 65W, P/N: NX061.  It is made in China.

I have an XPS M1330.  Using Dell after warranty service, replaced the Mother Board twice, replaced the battery twice, replaced the AC adapter twice - not fixing it.

Turns out the power warning message is very informative.  It states "Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or greater for best system performance".  So, I plugged in my Dell 95W adapter - WOW Problem Solved.

A lab test of my new Dell 65W AC adapter shows it to be 64.6 watts.  If this unit gets hot (like after several hours of use), it may not put out the full 65 watts - the system may not recognize the adapter, it may power the system ok, but won't charge the battery.

These units burn out after only a few months of use. Their cables are too fragile. If Dell's or their supplier's Quality Control can't produce a reliable 65W product - I found seveal "Made In USA" universal adapters.

All Replies
  • Wow - very helpful, jcdiacap! Thank you for saving me a lot of time, money and aggravation!

• Thanks for this!! It is very helpful.

I made the same experience. My new laptop XPS 15z did not work with the delivered Dell AC/DC adapter EA90PM111. I tried with my old Dell LA90PS1-00 and solved the problem. I now will try to contact the Dell support and ask them for a new suitable adapter to the XPS 15z.

• Well my solution was simple.

I just removed the battery pack and powered up my notebook. Then I turned off the notebook replaced the battery pack and VOILA. The error message was gone.

• Well first of all, The fact that the charger is made in China doesn't really matter..  Right now, I'm using a 5 years old Dell Inspiron 1525 and guess what? It's charger is made in China and never caused that wattage problem until yesterday.. Well, It lasted 5 nice years that's the point..

Second, Thanks for the solution. I suspected either the charger or the home electric system's wattage altering (voltage/current drops). I wasn't so sure which one is faulty, so Thanks!!

Third, Anyone have any idea about that low charger wattage may affect the HDD performance? My battery is dead right now ( 0% and not charging so the laptop is running on the charger at the moment  ). Will that cause errors or damage to the HDD? Like ''your HDD died!! you must change it'' damage?

• We're all in the same boat. My Studio 17 laptop had this error pop up about 2 months ago. Prior to getting it 3 years ago, it's been fine. I tried using a same voltage power cord on it, but it still has the same error message and will not charge at all. Very frustrating to be sure.

I tried pulling out the battery (which is dead) and putting it back in while it's "charging" and nothing works. I may consider getting a higher voltage power cord, but we really shouldn't be the ones deal with this - Dell should be. 

I may consider getting an external charger for it since the battery is still good.  

• In most cases the cause of  the adapter warning message is quite simple: a broken adapter cable or a faulty power jack which often lead to intermittent problems.Important is to understand Dell's power adapter concept (which is quite different to that from other manufacturer !) to make the right decisions before buying and replacing parts.