AC Adapter - Alert - "AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined" - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

AC Adapter - Alert - "AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined"

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

AC Adapter - Alert - "AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined"

This question has been answered by AshLilly

This is a common problem (I see lots of posts)

The problem source is the [Dell] AC adapter.  PA-21 Family, 65W, P/N: NX061.  It is made in China.

I have an XPS M1330.  Using Dell after warranty service, replaced the Mother Board twice, replaced the battery twice, replaced the AC adapter twice - not fixing it.

Turns out the power warning message is very informative.  It states "Please connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or greater for best system performance".  So, I plugged in my Dell 95W adapter - WOW Problem Solved.

A lab test of my new Dell 65W AC adapter shows it to be 64.6 watts.  If this unit gets hot (like after several hours of use), it may not put out the full 65 watts - the system may not recognize the adapter, it may power the system ok, but won't charge the battery.

These units burn out after only a few months of use. Their cables are too fragile. If Dell's or their supplier's Quality Control can't produce a reliable 65W product - I found seveal "Made In USA" universal adapters.

Verified Answer
  • Well my solution was simple.

I just removed the battery pack and powered up my notebook. Then I turned off the notebook replaced the battery pack and VOILA. The error message was gone.

• In most cases the cause of  the adapter warning message is quite simple: a broken adapter cable or a faulty power jack which often lead to intermittent problems.Important is to understand Dell's power adapter concept (which is quite different to that from other manufacturer !) to make the right decisions before buying and replacing parts.