how do i get into my laptop tjhat is password protected in the bio and i don't know it

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

how do i get into my laptop tjhat is password protected in the bio and i don't know it

This question has suggested answer(s)

how do i get into a laptop with bios password that i don't have? i just got this at a yard sale and they don't have a clue???

All Replies
  • algilbert
    how do i get into a laptop with bios password that i don't have? i just got this at a yard sale and they don't have a clue???

You would have to open the laptop and look for a small jumper located somewhere on the motherboard.  Next to the jumper, you will see something like "Password" or "PWD".  Remove that jumper and the password should be erased.

Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK!

XPS 730x H2C (aluminum clear coat chassis)

Windows 7 Professional x64
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60ghz (soon-to-be a Core i7-975)
    6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
    (4) - 300GB VelociRaptors with (3) in RAID0
    Western Digital MyBook 1TB
    (2) - XFX Black Edition GTX 285's in SLI
    (2) - DVD/RW+CD/RW Drives
    Creative X-FI Titanium sound card
    Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse (blue)
    Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
    Logitech G35 headset
    Dell 3008WFP-30" LCD @ 2560x1600
    X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

• algilbert  

To obtain a password, you need to contact Dell and prove that you are the legal owner of the laptop.

You may find a better answer posting this in, the Laptop forum HERE, this is for Desktop systems.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• PH3N0M

You would have to open the laptop and look for a small jumper located somewhere on the motherboard.  Next to the jumper, you will see something like "Password" or "PWD".  Remove that jumper and the password should be erased.

There are no jumpers on laptops. The bios password is a security method as laptops are easily stolen. Without the password the system is useless to a thief.

As Bev pointed out only Dell can provide the "Master Password" or key sequence to access the bios. But you have to prove that you are the legal owner.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• algilbert  

The only way I can think of, to remove a laptop BIOS password, without contacting Dell, is to either replace the BIOS chip, or install a new motherboard. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Davet50
    There are no jumpers on laptops.

I stand corrected. Wink

Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK!

XPS 730x H2C (aluminum clear coat chassis)

Windows 7 Professional x64
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60ghz (soon-to-be a Core i7-975)
    6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
    (4) - 300GB VelociRaptors with (3) in RAID0
    Western Digital MyBook 1TB
    (2) - XFX Black Edition GTX 285's in SLI
    (2) - DVD/RW+CD/RW Drives
    Creative X-FI Titanium sound card
    Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse (blue)
    Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
    Logitech G35 headset
    Dell 3008WFP-30" LCD @ 2560x1600
    X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

• The BIOS chip on newer laptops, cannot be "pulled" like they used to be able to. Besides, finding a replacement, is virtually impossible as it must come from Dell, or a Dell supplier.

The only true way to reset a BIOS password, is to prove positive ownership to Dell tech support, and they will give you the overide command, to remove it.

JC

XPS 730x With  Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Retail

i-7 (960) 3.2 at 4.8Ghz   (200 x 24)

Mushkin Enhanced Redline DDR3 2000 at 2.4Ghz  8-8-9-24 1T ( 200 x 12) 1.70 Volts

2x Sapphire 4GB HD 5970(Hemlock) CROSSFIRE X

512 bit (800 Core /1125 MEM)

2x 600GB VR200M 10K raptors ( Raid 0 array) 6 Gb/s

2x 2TB WD 20000CSRTL Caviar greens (raid 1 array)

Pioneer BDR-205 12x Blu-Ray Burner

Hitachi/LG CH08LS10 8x Blu-ray BD-ROM/16x DVD±RW  Burner

• Just for the record, Dell will charge for the help  if the machine is no longer under warranty. As others have said, the first hurdle is proving ownership, which may be difficult on a yard sale purchase.

Community Member Since 2003