Windows 7 - Dell Inspiron 1525 Wireless LAN becomes disabled after about half-hour

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Windows 7 - Dell Inspiron 1525 Wireless LAN becomes disabled after about half-hour

This question is not answered

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Someone emailed me a question a while back about their Wireless LAN card shutting down and becoming disabled every half hour or so on their Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Windows 7 Beta 64 bit install. Sorry, but I deleted the email before I could answer, so I hope this post finds you. Yes I have an answer.

I did a bit of digging and I found that some builds of Windows 7 Beta, and now Windows 7 RC, do in fact turn on Automatic Shutoff by default. This is a new feature that is supposed to help save battery life. However, it appears to be a bit more irksome them helpful. To turn it off follow these steps:

1. Go to Start / Control Panel / Network and Internet
  2. Click on Network and Sharing Center
  3. On the left side of window, click on Change adapter settings
  4. Right click on your Wireless Network Connection (or similar named device)
  5. Select Properties
  6. Now click Configure button just under the wireless device name (in my case: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card)
  7. Go to the Power Management Tab
  8. De-select the “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” option
  9. Click OK

And with that, your auto-shutoff issue should go away. I personally did not experience this issue until I installed Windows 7 RC (build 7100). However, I am told that this option was enabled in several of the leaked versions of Beta that made the rounds on Torrents. It’s a nice option to have, but I think Microsoft should change it before it hits store shelves. It’s very annoying to get half way through a 16 gig file transfer between machines and have your system lock up because the WLAN suddenly stops due to “inactivity”.  One other thing you may have noticed, if you have had the same or similar problem, is that any attempt to re-enable the wireless adapter can cause Windows 7 to “halt” or “crash” and then any attempt to power cycle the laptop via normal means (start / shutdown button) results in the system hanging at “Logging Off’ screen. At least, this was what happened to me. So for that reason alone, I recommend turning this option off. Good Luck.

All Replies
  • Friend,

I just received a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop as a gift.  I'm cleaning it up, erasing all the personal files and trying to update the software (Windows 7 Professional, 32 bit with 2 gig of RAM overtop of the original Vista Home Premium) so that I can give it to someone else.  I would normally just reinstall the OS, but the computer also has MS Office 2007 on it.  According to the person who gave it to me, that software is purchased and has not been moved to another computer (and he's a pastor friend of mine and I trust him for that).  But he doesn't have the original disks ("If I find them I'll get them to you" he says).  So I don't want to reinstall the OS because I'd lose the MS Office (I have the Installation key, but not the disks).

So, I'm stuck with the OS as it is.  Everything seems to be working fine, except for the wireless and ethernet cable connection to the internet.  I can turn the switch on to activate the wireless internet and the computer keeps chugging away.  However, as soon as I put in the password for my network and activate the link, the computer prepares to reboot (I don't see this "preparation" but within two minutes it happens).  The computer "logs off" and prepares for shutdown.  Once shut-down it immediately reboots.  If I've turned off the wireless in the meantime everything works fine.  If I leave the wireless of the cycle just continues on and on.  I followed the instructions above (when I found them I said, "AHa, my problem is solved!"), but even though I de-selected the "allow computer to turn off this device" option, I still have the same log-off problem.

I thought that perhaps it was just the wireless, but it isn't.  If I hook up an ethernet cable I run through the same sequence of log-off, shut-down and restart.

I attempted to update the drivers, first from the Dell website (didn't work) then from somewhere else (didn't work) and then finally from Philip Yip (http://en.community.dell.com/members/natakuc4/default.aspx)  (two drivers, R230994.exe and ICS_Ds32.exe).  They didn't work either.  That is a problem 'cause I really do need internet access. 

I wondered is the hardware was bad somehow, so I booted in Ubunto 12 something using the laptop and the wireless worked fine.  I didn't try the ethernet port because since the wireless worked I was pretty sure it's a driver issue.

So, do you have any ideas for me?  Thanks!

--Michael B

• I'd still welcome any ideas someone has, but I went ahead and reinstalled Windows 7 Professional on the laptop in question.  Everything works fine now.  I hadn't done that before because of the copy of Office Professional Plus 2007 that was on the computer.  I didn't have the original media, though I had the license number.  I went online and found that I could download a copy of Office Prof Plus 2007 from Digital River, so I went ahead and did that, reinstalled everything and all is working fine - not.  While the wifi and ethernet are working fine there is another problem.  Alas, the copy that Digital River says is Office Profession Plus 2007 is not.  It is a copy of Office Professional 2007, which is not the same thing.  So my license doesn't work, so now I don't have Office on the computer.  Alas!

I'm going to call the company that donated the computer and see if they can help.  If not, I'll call Microsoft on Monday to see if they can help (I suspect not, but...)

Thanks,

--Michael

• Michael,

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• We are dealing with the a similar issue on my wife's Dell Inspiron 5520.  Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.  I called Dell Tech support and they walked me through doing what you suggest.  He also had me going into the Dell Wireless Network Card properties and he tweaked about a dozen different settings.  We're still having the same problem...possibly worse.  The issue, however isn't that the card shuts off....it simply loses the connection.  At least once every 10-15 minutes.  My wireless router is a top of the line Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 and all the rest of the devices in my house work just fine (Wii, MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, HP Printer).  They are all running on the same wireless network.  I'm starting to think that Dell makes really crummy wireless network cards and that's the issue.