Dell 5100 RAM Frequency - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Dell 5100 RAM Frequency

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell 5100 RAM Frequency

This question has been answered by ejn63

I have an old Dell 5100 with 768MB of ram installed in it. I know that the Inspiron 5100 shipped with PC2100 ram in it. My question is what is the fastest DDR RAM that the 5100 can support. I know it has a maximum capacity of 1GB but I need to know the speed so that I can purchase the upgrade. I hope to make it to 1GB so that I can make it ot minimum threshold for windows 7 and then try to run Windows 7 on it. Thanks in advance for your help

--Kaustav

Verified Answer
  • PC2700 will work but will run at PC2100 speed - the RAM on this system runs at PC2100 speed no matter what you install.

You MUST have a late BIOS revision to run PC2700.

Also note:  the Aero interface in Windows 7, like the Aero in Vista, will NOT run on a 5100, so if you decide on 7, don't bother with the fancier version - the Basic version will be all you can use graphics-wise.

All Replies
  • PC2700 will work but will run at PC2100 speed - the RAM on this system runs at PC2100 speed no matter what you install.

You MUST have a late BIOS revision to run PC2700.

Also note:  the Aero interface in Windows 7, like the Aero in Vista, will NOT run on a 5100, so if you decide on 7, don't bother with the fancier version - the Basic version will be all you can use graphics-wise.