xps studio 16 - Dell WebCAM Manager

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

xps studio 16 - Dell WebCAM Manager

This question is not answered

Hi i bought this laptop  a month ago, dell sent it with the wong operating system , i asked for the 64bit they sent me 32bit..... a few hours about 9 hours all toguether on the phone and a month later i get the right disk at home , windows 64bit home pemium, great i tough finally getting what i want .

So off we go make a fresh install , just to find out that half of the stuff is missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now i manage to get all of it working all the drivers installed  but got the the nice webcam software and guess what NOT WORKING!!!!

the cam works fine on msn , the driver is also working on the device drivers, but when i click on webcam center i get  this message

"No supported webcam driver detected. please install webcam driver using dell Resources CD"

now even tough this is a month old laptop the driver that comes on the cd is older than the one on the support website, even tough that drive on the support site was uploaded before i bought my laptop??? how is that happen? lol dell mess again

spent hours on the phone yesterday with 3 diferent techs and no help they calling me back monday they said , will see lol ill seat down so i dont get to tiered of wainting

so i decided to come here and expose my problem see if anyone else has the same problem and if anyone already came up with a solution

would be nice to have a comment from a dell tech here as well

ps - also missing face recognition softawe :-(

All Replies
  • Hi

I have had a Studio XPS 1340 for 3 weeks and I have had nothing but problems. I have been on the phone to tech support for dozens of hours and I have exactly the same problems as you have mentioned and would be grateful if some answers could be provided aboput the webcam issue.

• hi

as u can see i posted this a month ago and no dell tech guy even tried to help

i got my 1640 xps for 2 months in this 2 months its had a new keyboard, a new ac adpater, 3 diferent os finally got what i order last month the vista home primium 64bit

the the web cam manage only works on 32bit so far they still have not fixed that issiue

gave up on calling dell as i have spent over 50£ on phone calls to them now and nothing ever gets done

it cost me nearly 1800£ and i still can have something that runs smoothly for that price , dell call premium waranty i dont see nothing premium about they are useless all they do is pass u from one department to the other unless u start shouting at them , then u get somethin done

it shouldnt be like this ..............................

DELL FACE UP TO UR ERROS U MESSED UP WEBCAM MANAGER

AT LEAST ADMIT IT

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Oh no I wasn't saying it wasn't capable of running a 64Bit OS was just trying to explaing certin hardware configuration will dictate the OS you will receive with the system but to the best of my knowledge the Web Cam software will almost never work a 64Bit OS

If I recall correctly there have been a few 64Bit System with camaras but after a reinstall of windows we could never get the camara to show properly and would only work on a factory restore. But I may be remembering wrong here I haven't delt with any in a long time.

• Well to put this sort of  to bed The dell web cam works very well on Vista X64. I just fired it up and gave it a bit of a test and things work fine.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• i had more than 10 tech guys remote controling my pc and in the end they said they have to investigate

can you post ur driver here?? or the cd for the webcam manager?

• I am using the driver from HERE

Here's what i would suggest if you have not already tried. Install the driver from the resource disk like the software suggests then do the update.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Davet50

I am using the driver from HERE

Here's what i would suggest if you have not already tried. Install the driver from the resource disk like the software suggests then do the update.

I tried exactly what you suggested and I still receive a no camera detected message.  I uninstalled the driver, restarted, installed the driver from the resource CD, then applied the latest update that you also referenced and restarted once more.  The issue persists so I'm not sure exactly what Dell has done to actually get this working when the system shipped.

• Almost 2 years later and still the same problem exists!

I can't get my webcam central to work because it can't find the driver it "likes".

The creative driver does not install (error) even with running in Vista compatibility mode - I am on Win 7 64.

This is ridiculous!

• Globespy,

When you installed the operating system, did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order If you cannot find Windows 7 64-bit drivers, try using the Vista (or XP) 64-bit drivers and install them in the Compatibility mode

The after you have the drivers corrected, try installing Dell Webcam Central

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• I am also having issues along this line. I have reinstalled my Dell Webcam (along with the drivers) but after I open up Dell Webcam Center, it's giving me an error message "No Supported Camera Detected. Please plug in to continue..." Why is it asking me this when my camera is attached to the laptop?

• i have a dell xps that was a graduation gift that i have had for around 5 months now. the webcam has been working fine and i've had many hours of use with it video chatting friends. then tonight, it just stopped working on skype and it said that i did not have a webcam. the webcam is built in.... laptop has never been dropped  or taken any damage whatsoever so it cannot be my fault. any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated. thank you

• bobbythebruce,

Try running the troubleshooting. If laptop is only 5 months old, it should be under warranty. Contact Dell Tech Support.

Using and Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!