e6400 bios reset issues please help

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

e6400 bios reset issues please help

This question has suggested answer(s)

i have a e6400 latitude i used for my business in construction estimating. My oldest son set the bios password and now he has somehow mistyped it or somehow lost the password to get into my system.dell will not help out since i purchased it used from a local county sale. does anyone have any ideas how to reset the password on this machine. please help i dont have the money to buy a new one .

All Replies
  • When you boot up can you press F2 and get in to the BIOS? if so, in there you should be able to set the BIOS back to Factory Defaults....

IF NOT.....

Here is my best guess at this. We have e6400 and haven't come accross this issue yet and here is what I would try.

1. Unplug power and the battery from your laptop.

2. Remove the coin battery on the laptop, this give POWER to the BIOS here is how you do it. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late6400/en/sm/html/coinbatt.htm#wp1179839

3. After you removed it press the power button and hold it for 10sec. give or take. (Yes it won't turn on because you don't have a battery in it or the power adapter plugged in).

4. Attached that coin battery back up and your battery and power adapter, now turn your Laptop back on.

5. if it works you PC should beep at you and say you need to set the date and time and can now get in to the bios...

• Irish2009

When you boot up can you press F2 and get in to the BIOS? if so, in there you should be able to set the BIOS back to Factory Defaults....

IF NOT.....

Here is my best guess at this. We have e6400 and haven't come accross this issue yet and here is what I would try.

1. Unplug power and the battery from your laptop.

2. Remove the coin battery on the laptop, this give POWER to the BIOS here is how you do it. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/late6400/en/sm/html/coinbatt.htm#wp1179839

3. After you removed it press the power button and hold it for 10sec. give or take. (Yes it won't turn on because you don't have a battery in it or the power adapter plugged in).

4. Attached that coin battery back up and your battery and power adapter, now turn your Laptop back on.

5. ifI did  it works you PC should beep at you and say you need to set the date and time and can now get in to the bios...

I did this... it gives me the date time error, but still asks for a password.  Any other way to fix it?

• Have you found another way to reset password bios. I tried to remove the battery and give me error date and still ask me for the password.

• If you call Dell and give them the billing address and name of the user, they will give you a key.  I didn't have that info since it was an ebay purchase.  I have found no other way to get around the bios password.  I have given up.  Sorry, man.

• I would urge you to check with Dell Support. They may be able to provide a master password that will work. However, they may first require a transfer of ownership.

I had this problem on an E6400 I purchased from eBay. Ugly. I could boot the machine into Windows 7 without any issues. However, the BIOS was locked. I contacted the folks and Mastermind IT and paid them $20.00 via PayPal. Within minutes they sent me a "master" password that unlocked the machine. It worked and I can change the BIOS now.

Note that I submitted the form at 11:00 PM on a Friday night. The service might be a bot though.

• this method worked on some older products not on most new new ones but thanks