Need to switch F keys

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Need to switch F keys

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi

I just bought a new laptop and realised that the F keys are also used to do other funktions like brightnes control of the LCD od sound control, to use the F kexs I need to hold an Fn key whitch is quite inconvenient, I there a way to switch so I can use the F keys without the Fn key?

All Replies
  • Hi !

I have the same problem, since i use my computer for gaming. I really need the F#-keys without having to press the Fn-key.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 running with Vista Home Premium.

•  

Same here - I use MS word a lot, and am constantly using the F keys. To have to hold down another key while pressing the F key is inconvenient. Has anyone heard from Dell about this?

JL

MKaiba

Hi

I just bought a new laptop and realised that the F keys are also used to do other funktions like brightnes control of the LCD od sound control, to use the F kexs I need to hold an Fn key whitch is quite inconvenient, I there a way to switch so I can use the F keys without the Fn key?

• I have the exact same problem with my new DELL Inspiron.  There has got to be a way to switch the function keys to default the F1 - F12 as the active keys and if you want to use the brightness or battery life or volume you have to depress the fn key.

• Found the answer on another string here in the dell community forum all you have to do is hold down F2 at boot up and then go to function keyboard setup and select function behavior instead of the default multimedia behavior.

• Thanks for the post.  I love my new Dell Laptop, but I didn't realize the F-keys needed the function key.  What a hastle.  Thanks to you the program that I run the most is operating the way I am most familier!Yes

• To do this within windows, open the Dell Quickset utility in the Windows Mobility Center.  Mine is under C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe.  Check the lower half of the window for the Dell utilities.

• Thanks for your answer. It's very easy to switch.