:^/ How to change registered ownership?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

:^/ How to change registered ownership?

This question is not answered

:^/ My XPS M1210 laptop was purchased second-hand, without the original System Restore CD's or other support media.  So, if/when I replace my hard drive, I'll have no way to create the Recovery Partition nor the Media Direct partition, etc.

Dell has a page where one can request replacement media, but I've been told that because I am not the laptop's "actual" owner, (I'm sure the kind tech meant to say "original owner,") Dell will not send the replacement discs to me.

How would one go about changing Dell's records to reflect the change in legal ownership of my M1210 laptop, without myself knowing the original owner's details?

Thanks in advance....

All Replies
  • International Ownership Transfer Form Wink

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• :^/ Yeah, I noticed that, but I'm transferring within the same country, so I'd need this one, instead.  Unfortunately, both of them require the original owner's first and last name, which I don't have.

I guess I'll just have to contact the second-hand store from which I purchased my XPS M1210 and ask them the seller's name.  If I explain why I need it, they should have no problem telling me.

:^(°º(I'll have to wait until the snow melts before they open up shop again, though....)

• :^/ Well, the shop refuses to share the name of the seller.  They say that the law forbids it.  However, the law does not prevent them for changing Dell's registration for the laptop to their name.  Then, I could change it from their name into mine.

:^( However, they refuse to do that.  Dang.