studio 1535 keyboard backlight not working

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

studio 1535 keyboard backlight not working

This question has suggested answer(s)

I got my dell studio 1535 few weeks back. The keyboard backlight doesnt work . I changed the settings in dell quick set, using the Fn -> key combo also, i can see the notification on screen that backlight is on . However the keyboard backlight never switches on. Can someone help please. I am tired of staring in the dark to see the keyboard keys :(

All Replies
  • Same here (Studio 1535 running Vista business 32-bit). I'm afraid that there's nothing you can do.

It appears that some of the 1535 models (not that you can actually verify which one is bundled with this feature before the purchase) are not bundled with backlight feature, even if "Quickset" and "Fn" keys combination are "virtually" toggling between the available modes (full/dim/off).

• Same thing happens to my Studio 1535. No way to make it work, fn and right arrow, quick set, etc.

Did anyone get Dell's official word that some Studio 1535 laptop do not have keyboard Backlight?

Thanks,

• zilber2

Same thing happens to my Studio 1535. No way to make it work, fn and right arrow, quick set, etc.

Did anyone get Dell's official word that some Studio 1535 laptop do not have keyboard Backlight?

Thanks,

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/1535/en/SM/keyboard.htm#wp1180346

NOTE: If you have the backlit keyboard (optional), there would be an additional cable that needs to be disconnected.

Confirm that your current keyboard actually has 2 cables connected to system board, otherwise you have the non-lighted version of the Studio keyboard...

• Somms, Thanks for the hint!

Therfore, backlit keyboard at Studio 1535 laptops is an optional feature?

The only way to determine if this one is backlit or not is openning it ?

Thanks again.

• When I ordered mine it was a cost-option I did not select. 

The quickset utility still allows me turn it on and off but of course nothing lights up.  I guess that this means the motherboard power supply to backlighting is there and capable of being turned on so providing the necessary LED's or a new keyboard might well provide the feature post purchase.  Personally I would rather see dim background lighting of the touch media keys which become invisible long before the keyboard does

• Oh, I see.

I purchased it "as it is" in a retail store. When I got to the user guide and saw the keyboard shortcut working I thought the keyboard backlight was a standard feature.

Thanks.

• go to start menu and type: Windows Mobility Center

in the lower left hand corner is a category called keyboard brightness on

slide the value all the way to the right and "viola!"

that worked for me. everyone keeps saying press FN + Right arrow

(not noticing that there are so many people that does not work for)

I did not have the time to type this nor am I a techie but couldn't stand to not put the answer here.

All the best. hope this helped

• go to start menu

type windows mobility center

in the bottom left corner slide the value of the keyboard brightness to the right.

I did not have the time to type this nor am i a techie

but i figured it out and could not stand to not answer

hope this works,

All the best

• Well done Wolfcage.

worked first time, and ended my frustrating couple of days.

Why it switched itself off, I don't know, worked OK for the first year!!

• Wolfcage, it worked for me! I created an account just so i can log on to thank you!

Don't know why the backlit keyboard went out on my 3.5-year-old computer, but your trick worked.

Miriam from St. Louis