CPU Temperature

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

CPU Temperature

• Hi, I have an xps m1330. Installed a CPU temperature monitor software (Real Temp 2.70) and my laptop's average temperature is about 60 ++ degrees. Is that normal?

Thanks 

• CompUser2008 wrote:

Hi, I have an xps m1330. Installed a CPU temperature monitor software (Real Temp 2.70) and my laptop's average temperature is about 60 ++ degrees. Is that normal?

Hello,

Pretty normal.

70 deg C is too hot. Here is a conversion chart for C to F or F to C.

Mis Dos Centavos,
    Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
    Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
    Toshiba Tecra M1
    Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
    Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
      Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

• Assuming you mean it's running at 60°F, that's <16°C, which is very impressive... if it's accurate?
    It would be worth confirming the temperature using a different temp monitor though - i.e. Core Temp.

I say that, because it's not physically possible for the core components in a PC - and especially a laptop, to run at temperatures below the ambient room temperature.
    To have a CPU temperature of just 60°F, would mean you'd have to be sitting in a room with an ambient temperature well below 60°F, in which case you'd have ice for blood :smileysurprised: :smileytongue:
    I'm a Scotsman, so I'm used to fairly low temperatures, and I'm quite happy to sit in rooms with temperatures below what many other people think are rather on the 'cool' side :D
    But even I would find <60°F/16°C a tad 'cool'!

If - on the other hand, you mean it's running at 60°C. () ... that's a different matter altogether!
    By way of example, the CPU in my M1730 (see sig) runs at anywhere from the low - high 30°C (90 - 100°F) at idle - depending on the room temperature.
    And my graphics cards idle at a steady 50 - 52°C (around 120 - 125°F), and graphics cards always run quite a bit hotter than CPU's.

So you'll understand why you ought to be concerned if you do mean your CPU is running at 60°C!
    If you meant 60°F, then I'd suggest it must be wrong - hence recommending checking it with another temperature monitor.
    HWMonitor is another useful (/free) temperature monitor, which displays both CPU and graphics card temps.
    Run either/both Core Temp +/or HWMonitor, and get back to us with the reported temps ;)

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• CompUser2008

What processor have you? 65nm (T7*** or T5*** series) or 45nm (T8*** or T9*** series)?

Assuming you've a 65nm processor (T7*** series) they're good for up to 85C according to Intel themselves (If I remember correctly from the datasheet), so on that note you're okay.

Just to give you some idea the T7500 in my XPS M1530 goes between 40C and 65C when idling, the fan knocking it down that is. Under load with a CPU torture test (Prime95), the highest temperature I saw was 72C.

The 45nm proceesors are known to run a good bit cooler.

The T8100 in the Studio 15 I set a friend up with recently showed an idle temperature of ~35C and a load temperature with the same CPU torture test of around 55-60C.

Message Edited by mfinnan101 on 10-13-2008 01:30 PM

Desktop

Asus Rampage, Q9450 @ 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR2 800MHz (4-4-4-12), 8800GTS 512MB

X-Fi XtremeGamer, 4 1TB HDs, Triple Boot - Ubuntu (Hardy), XP Pro and Vista Ultimate 64bit