Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

BIOS frying my power cords?

• I've gone through 5 power cords in a year an a half on my Inspirion 1505. This last round the man told me that because my BIOS wasn't updated I was systematically frying my power cords, and all they could do was send me a new one and then tell me to upgrade, though this is the first I've heard of this advice. I've asked on other forums and have gotten the same responses; that my unupgraded BIOS isn't responsible for this persistent problem. I don't know where to go from here and I can't keep having days at a time without my computer.
  • Since the power cord is actually a step down transformer, that is taking 120 volts input and 18-19 volts output.  the problem usually is input voltage.  Too much or too little voltage can damage a transformer.  Since I have never came across this, i am trying to troubleshoot the cause.  Voltage spikes will fry it also.  Never have come across a bios causing anything like this.  Do you use the cord only at home or do you use it in different locations.  A surge protector might be a solution.  I would ask if you use long extension cord 16 guage or smaller, but normally the total wattage of these laptops are not that much. (long extension cords have voltage drop).  I would check voltage at outlet where computer is plugged in to see if it fluctuates.

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but let us know if you figure it out.

XPS (product red)  M1530, A12 bios, Intel C2D T9300, 8 Gb (2x4) G-Skill Ram, 1 Gb Intel TCM, WD 320 7200 rpm hd, Intel 4945 wireless card, Sprint broadband card, bluetooth, x-fi express card, Hp Digital express card tuner, Vista Ultimate x64 sp2

• ashame you couldn't have found a way to record that wonderful advice ... it would have made a great youtube video.

that said, if the computer is still under warranty, it is probably worth upgrading to the latest bios available.

Latitude D430
    Dimension 9150
    Dell 1815dn Printer