STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

• Good day all.  I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 that has no O/S installed.  I believe that it was a Vista, however I am attempting to install Windows XP Pro.  When I load the Windows XP Pro CD, after I get the message STARTING WINDOWS, I then get the Blue Screen with this message

Followed by pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Can someone please advise me as to what to do so that I can install the XP O/S?

Thanks in advance!

• Read this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

• Thanks for the tip.  Looks like I need to flash the BIOS so that it has the correct BIOS for XP.  I have downloaded the BIOS update from the Dell website.  Any suggestions as to how to flash the BIOS when there is no OS installed?
  • I would suggest you not flash the bios unless you really know what you are doing. If it goes wrong your laptop is dead. Read all the instructions in the flash file download.

I do know how to flash it but the instructions are too detailed and long to post here.

Be very careful!

• Another possible reason for your problems could be that the HDD is still formatted with the Vista version of the NTFS file system. There are differences between Vista and XP in this. I believe what is happening is that the Windows XP Setup system is trying to copy some temporary files to the HDD, but gets an error because it doesn't recognise the file system on the HDD.

I would suggest using a third party partitioning program, such as PartitionMagic (Norton) or, what I use, Acronis Disk Director Suite http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

But I'm sure there are many other such utilities available over the Internet. These will usually allow you to boot your system from a 'recovery disk' and allow you to reformat the internal HDD with the XP compatible version of the NTFS file system.

Once you've done this try the XP install again and hopefully you shouldn't have any more problems. 

HTH.

• Thank you all for your advice.  I have used discscrubber 3 to wipe the drive, and GPart to partition it.  Unfortunately, I have the same problem. 

I will attempt with the Acronis Suite.  If that doesn't work I'm going to get a new hard drive and take it from there

• Why is it you don't want Vista on it? If this is a bios problem getting a new hard drive will not fix anything.
  • We have an XP based network.  A Vista machine cannot be joined to the domain
  • I have not  heard of that. I have Vista networked with Xp no problems. With this info I would not recommend flashing the bios or getting a new hard drive.