Inspiron 1501 hard drive not being recognized

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1501 hard drive not being recognized

• Six months ago, a beer was spilled on my laptop. I let it air out and it ran fine after about 2 days of not turning on. Last month, it started shutting off. I thought it was overheating. I replaced the heatsink and fan. It still did it.

I researched and decided there might be residue on the motherboard. I took it out, wiped some corrosion spots with a microfiber cloth and 50-50 water/rubbing alcohol. It fixed the shutting off problem.

Now, it won't recognize my hard drive. I bought a new one, same problem. I cannot figure out if I didn't put something back right when I put everything back together, or if my motherboard is MUBAR'd.

What should I look into next? 

• Hi

To me it says motherboard because you say the new drive does the same thing .

What i would try is to put the drivers in a USB case and see if they work OR

you can try to put them in a desktop that has a SATA port to see if they work

you would attach them just like you would a big drive i.e. a data and power cable .

If the drives work you can bet the motherboard is dead and will need replacing !!

Edit 

Did you try to run the diagnostics at boot using F 12 to see if it would find the problem{s} ?

Good Luck 

Message Edited by C3PO5 on 05-22-2008 04:38 PM

Jerry\c3po5

XPS 430 Ram 8 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit  

Retail Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Full version 

Dimension 8400 Ram 4 gigs Retail  Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Dimension E 512 Ram 4 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Inspiron 1501 Ram 4 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Retail Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Full version on drive 2

• I ran the diagnostics. The only problem it found was it can't find a hard drive.

Which makes me think an external is a viable option, at least short term.   

• Hi

You can not boot to XP or Vista from a USB drive Microsoft has made XP and Vista

where it will not boot that way ,

if it would boot you could use it on other computers and not have a XP OR Vista license

for that computer so that's the deal with booting a USB drive with XP\Vista installed on it .

You can do a search for booting a USB drive with XP\Vista you will see what i am saying .

Good Luck

Jerry\c3po5

XPS 430 Ram 8 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit  

Dimension 8400 Ram 4 gigs Retail  Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Dimension E 512 Ram 4 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Inspiron 1501 Ram 4 gigs Dell OEM Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Retail Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Full version on drive 2

• Thanks for the headsup.
  • Hmmm have you checked the connections from the hard drive to the motherboard and cleaned them, may need a fine paint brush to remove any dust.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.