Drivers missing for "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus"

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Drivers missing for "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus"

• I have an Inspiron E1705 laptop bought in late Nov 06 to take with me overseas, out of warranty in Nov 07, and just recently reloaded software and drivers.  Part of the reload was a clean re-install of Windows XP.  When I look at my hardware in the device manager, I have some odd device as stated above as missing drivers.  It also shows three Base System Devices, BCM2045, Ethernet Controller, Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus, SM Bus Controller, Video Controller, Video Controller (VGA), all as missing drivers.  Believe it or not, the WiFi works...gobbling up bandwidth from my neighbor as I try to fix this.  What doesn't work is the internet from my cable input via a cable modem...not sure why.  Can someone put a clue in my cluebag as to what driver I need to install?  Oh yeah, I came here because I can understand what you are writing as opposed to deciphering what Haji from India is telling me. ;-P

Mokoman

• It sounds like you reinstalled Windows without installing the device drivers in the correct order.  You need to install the Notebook System Software and the Chipset drivers before even attempting to install any other device drivers.  All drivers can be downloaded from the following site:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_9400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

The Notebook System Software is under System Utilities, the Ethernet controller is the Broadcom driver under Network, Audio drivers are under Audio, Modem drivers are under Communications, Video drivers under Video, and the Base System Device requires the Richoh driver under Chipset. 

Steve

• Its a Sigmatel chip. I had the same problem too when I first bought a motherboard that had a pci device for an audio device. I was so confused. But just download the Sigmatel drive from http://www.support.dell.com and then select your system type, and the OS. Note on Windows Vista, the device automatically has a driver, unless its an EAX based SoundBlaster card then you'll have to use the DELL driver as it must emulate something, because last time I read Vista didn't yet fully support Soundblaster EAX based audio devices.

• Deleted posting becuse it was unneccessary, thanks DPDH1520
    Message Edited by DPDH1520 on 09-20-2008 07:39 AM