HELP! Vostro 1400 WiFi Problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

HELP! Vostro 1400 WiFi Problem

• I have this problem on my Vostro 1400 where the WiFi would shut off by itself, without a noticeable cause. This doesn't happen often, but it's really annoying when it does happen.

To recap what happens for me:
    The blue WiFi light would suddenly turn off without me doing anything in particular
    All wireless connections become undetectable until the computer gets restarted
    However, my computer doesn't get stuck/freeze (only thing that changes is the wireless that's now gone)

The only modification I've made to the vostro is installing the dell bluetooth card... which is unaffected by the wireless problem...

I don't think it's a heating issue... and it's definitely not a router issue... seems to me more like a Vostro hardware issue. Also not an "idle" issue, since it sometimes happens while I'm using the computer.

Anyone else with the same problem? Anyone with a solution to this? I've only found one other person on another forum with this issue, but there may be more here on the Dell forums.

By the way, I have this wireless card: IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card

Thanks in advance!
    Message Edited by acela1012 on 02-03-2008 11:08 PM
    Message Edited by acela1012 on 02-03-2008 11:09 PM
  • is your wireless card using the latest drivers?
  • Thanks for the reply
    Is there a way to check the version of the driver that I have now?

The only driver for the Intel card on the Dell download site has under the Release Highlights "Adds Cisco Client Extensions under Vista OS." If this is the only change that the driver makes, then it doesn't seem to apply for my case since it appears that my wireless card gets turned off by the Vostro (and cannot be reactivated unless the comp is restarted).

What do you think?
  • to check the version of your driver, go to device manager and under network adapters you should see your wireless card. right click it>properties and look under the driver tab for the relevent info.