Black Screen and Blinking Cursor of Death

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Black Screen and Blinking Cursor of Death

• I hope there is a solution to this. I have a 3 month old Dell, Precision M4300 laptop. Everything was working fine, I installed MS One Care and it asked me to reboot. Boot up screen came up and then to a black screen with blinking cursor. Things I've tried 1. shutting down, letting it sit a few minutes, restarting 2. Clt Alt Delete 3. F2 4. F12 5. Putting the Windows XP SP2 CD in (spins up but does nothing) 6. Unplugged all devices and internet 7 shoot it.....not yet anyhow! Help? Ideas? I don't want to think about it being dead :-( THANKS!!!!!
  • I had a similar problem with my Latitude laptop, however, it was 3 years old when it occurred and not new like yours. I found out that it was the AC port that the power adapter plugs into in the back of the laptop that was causing the issue.

I discovered this by accident by trying to boot the laptop without the power cord plugged in. I found that I could get past the blinking cursor whenever the laptop wasn't plugged in, however, it would not boot any further than the Windows splash screen. Every time I had the laptop plugged in, I would get the blinking cursor.

Might be a longshot but give this a try. If this is the issue, send your laptop back for replacement as the power adapter needs be re-soldered to repair.

• Try disabling "USB emulation" in BIOS.  Also be absolutely sure that there are no USB devices attached, especially external hard drivers and printers. 

You could also try booting to Last Known Good Configuration using F8.

Good luck.