Inspiron 1501 keeps crashing

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron 1501 keeps crashing

• My brand new Inspiron 1501 laptop keeps crashing after it has been running for a while.  It reboots fine, but crashes again after a while.  It has Vista, Athlon dual-core TK-53, 2GB memory, ATI Radeon Express 1150.  Any ideas?

I called support and had trouble understanding the guy.  He said to mail it back, but first to take the hard drive out.  I don't see any way to take the hard drive out - does that sound right?  Besides, doesn't opening the case invalidate the warranty??
  • no it does not void warranty turn it over find the HDD take out the screw or screws and slide the drive out.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

• The detailed procedure for removing the hard disk drive is typicaly in the service manual for each system.

http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=2

GM
  • Many of us are having the same problem.  Before sending it back, disable PowerNow in the Bios.  This looks to be a good workaround until Dell can come up with a fix.  A replacement PC will only do the same thing again.
  • All

There is a new bios for the 1501, please update and let me know if it solves the problem.

• Jimmy P,

This is beginning to look promising.

Ive had my Dell Inspiron 1501 on for 4 hours now and no crashing.

I will continue to use this normally now and see if the random reboots have gone for good.
  • I installed the new BIOS and latest Vista driver for ATI RADEON Xpress1150 last night per this new information:

Now I am running and waiting to see if the problem is gone.  I will post again in a few days to report.  Thanks to all for your posts!
  • Has been running a couple days now without crashes - I think the new BIOS has fixed it.  My faith in Dell has been restored!  Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.
  • I tried to flash the new bios with dell's program but it didn't run as described and i'm not sure it worked. Could someone here tell me what their bios version/date says in their system information after flashing the bios with the new update? Mine says: "Dell Inc. 2.6.1, 8/23/2006"
  • my BIOS version is 2.6.1 also