Start up disk

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Start up disk

• I purchased my E1505 about a year ago and it did not come with any startup disk. I am having problems with a virus and want to format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system and installed programs that came with the computer originally. Is there a way I can do this without a startup disk from Dell?
  • Assuming that you are running Windows XP you should have the Dell Restore Partition.  Access it by restarting the computer, waiting for the menu that says "F2 for Setup, F12 for Boot Menu", then press CTRL and F11, releasing both keys at the same time before the statement "Loading PBR..." appears underneath the blue bar.  You should get a menu asking what you would like to do, one item of which allows you to restore your computer to the state it was in when it was delivered to you.

If you are successful, this procedure will replace everything on the hard drive with the software and data that Dell put on it before it was shipped.  All data you have put on the drive will be overwritten, so if there is anything you want to keep you need to save it to removable media before attempting the procedure.

Once you have completed the procedure, or if you are unable to perform the procedure, go here:

Follow the directions and get the necessary CDs, for it is a near certainty that you will eventually need them even if the Dell Restore Partition fixes your present troubles.

Dell Forum member since 2005

• I have a virus and no start up disk. would like to install start up disk