Vista says network cable is unplugged when it is not

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Vista says network cable is unplugged when it is not

• I have the Dell XPS M2010.  When I unplug my network cable and replug it back in, Vista says the cable is unplugged when it clearly isn't.  I have to reboot my system in order for Vista to regonize my network and access the Internet again.  Why is it doing this? 

On my old laptop running XP, I could unplug my network cable and replug it back in later and it automatically reconnected back to my netowrk and Internet.

I'm using the integrated Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller.

Thanks in advance.

~ w
  • "Why is it doing this?"

Why are you unplugging the cable??? I guess as per the old saying - "If it hurts - don't do it".
  • Well, the point of me buying a laptop is so that I can have a PORTABLE computer.  We don't have a wireless network at our practice because of security issues.

Your addage doesn't work here because it never worked right in the first place.

Message Edited by WayneL333 on 06-13-2007 07:57 AM
  • Sorry - missed the fact that this was a portable. In this case then, it's probably due to the power management settings. There is a setting whereby power to the NIC is suspended when you are not connected. This feature, if enabled, may be the cause of this problem.
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work.  It's wierd.  When I replug the network cable back in, the "status" in network settings is "unplugged". 

I don't know if it's Vista or the NIC causing this.  Does anyone know if the the driver for the Broadcom Xtreme is Vista compliant???

Thanks.
  • Latest 2/1/07 Vista Broadcom drivers(10.8.0.0a) are here:

Under desktop/mobile

Good Luck-Vic
  • Thanks for your help Vic.  I downloaded the 32 bit driver and it still didn't fix the problem.  So I wonder if Vista is causing the problem.  How frustrating!!!
  • Actually, does anyone know the exact model number for the internal NIC of the broadcom in the M2010???  The reason I ask is because on the Broadcom driver page it says this:

This driver does not support BCM5700, BCM5701 and BCM5702 devices due to Vista compliance issues. To use these devices under Vista, please use the XP or Win2K3 driver above. This driver does not support BCM5700, BCM5701 and BCM5702 devices due to Vista compliance issues. To use these devices under Vista, please use the XP or Win2K3 driver above.

Dell woudln't have put a non-Vista compatible NIC in their laptop loaded with Vista would they?
  • It's listed in the Broadcom control suite under hardware.Mine is 5705.
    Must be a Vista problem.
    Try contacting Broadcom.I know they don't provide support for dell
    but maybe this will be fixed with a future driver release