Help! Problems with RTC - Inspiron 1300

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Help! Problems with RTC - Inspiron 1300

• Hello

Can someone help me with this?

I bought an new Inspiron 1300 in April 2006. Less than three months after I received it, the clock started to mess about. It was never on time whenever the system was switched on, was "loosing" time while I was using the laptop. It sometimes would not start Windows right away, instead asking me to go into the Bios to set up date and time. Other times the system would not switch on at all.
    At the time I could not use the collect and return service. I had bought the laptop in Ireland and was then living in the West Indies. I thought the laptop came with a one-year warranty so I thought I would wait another month to send the laptop to get fixed, when I was returning to Europe.
    I had also started getting a new message on the screen:

RTC mode fixed. Time and Date may be wrong.
    Time-of-day clock has stopped.

Whenever I was getting this message, nothing could be done, not even going into the Bios. I had to switch off and switch on to see if by chance Windows would start, which would happen later the same day or the day after. Then one day, the laptop was only switching on to display this screen, nothing could be done. I tried several times a day for several days, nothing.

I called Dell only to find out that the laptop had come with a three-month warranty since I hadnt paid for more. Of course this warranty had expired when I was abroad anyway. They told me that the reserve battery had to be replaced, which I knew already. Isnt that coin-cell battery meant to last for years???

I couldnt afford to pay Dell to fix it, so I bought a new coin-cell battery and my brother replaced it. The laptop switched on immediately and the RTC was then working perfectly.

Then a few weeks later it started again. The clock is "loosing" time again, I have to set time/date when i turn on the system, the laptop sometimes does not switch on and I sometimes get that message again (RTC mode fixed. Time and Date may be wrong. Time-of-day clock has stopped).

I think its also affecting the system in other ways: problems with restarting, stand-by etc...

Also, I dont know if it is related, but this problem started again (after I changed the coin-cell battery) when I moved to London, I mean by that that I had to travel with it in a laptop bag from France to UK.

I emailed Dell for advice but as my warranty's gone they wont even answer my questions. I would have to pay for that, and I cant afford it.

If anyone can help, it would be really great! :)
    It took me a year of saving money for this laptop and I cant believe it was not working properly after two months. I did choose Dell for the great offer they had on this computer, but also because I thought it was good quality products and I am very disappointed :(
  • Buy a new one?? I already changed the battery once 6 weeks ago!

So I should just keep on buying coin-cell batteries every few weeks then?!

Message Edited by snowfl8ke on 10-01-2006 07:24 AM

• Something I forgot to say:

When running the diagnostic boot i get this:

CPU Time Stamp Calibration

Test Results: Fail
    Error Code: 1000-0234

Msg: Timeout waiting for RTC update flag to set
    Something I forgot to say:

When running the diagnostic boot i get this:

CPU Time Stamp Calibration

Test Results: Fail
    Error Code: 1000-0234

Msg: Timeout waiting for RTC update flag to set

Download and install the newest BIOS update. then restore the settings for the BIOS. if you will still have the same error message, then you need a replacement motherboard.

- kArL dCsE™