Dell Latitude C610 will not boot

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Latitude C610 will not boot

• If this is the wrong forum, sorry.  Newbie here from WI.  My daughter has a problem with her laptop and she designated me to fix it.  I have fixed a lot of things with it before, replaced the display when it went bad, new hard drive, changed to xp pro with it.  This one has me stumped.  The power light comes on with either the battery or ac but it will not boot up.  Just in case it was another bad display, I tried it with a monitor and nothing.  I tried tot get it to boot after removing all externals with AC only, after removing the disc drive, the battery and the hard drive, also took out the wireless card.  I held down the power button for 15 seconds to reset and still nothing.  One other thing to note is that the ac adapter flops around in the plug, it is not a tight fit, but wouldn't it stll boot up on the battery?  If it is the sytem board, is it replaceable for me?

I work on a tech help desk and am working on my degree in networking.

Thanks for the help!
  • Hi,

I does sound like the MBD, they are not hard to change. Less than 1/2 an hour if you have done one before. It sounds like the DC socket is loose, which is part of the MBD. What lights come on when you try to boot ? Does it turn off by itself ? Have you reseated the memory ? It could also be bad memeory, are you able to swap it ? If it has 2 sticks, you can try combinations.

Regards Chris

• The only light that comes on is the power light, it is the one nearest the headset plug on the right side of the machine.  I am not seeing how the memory could come into play on this issue since it has not been touched.  I will start by removing the keyboad again to see if the AC plug is physically loose or if possibly the motherboard is damaged where it hooks up.
  • Hi,

You will need to take out more than the KBD.  Dont rule out a memory reseat, many machines have come back to life after a reseat.

Regards Chris

• Yesterday, I stuck everything back in and it powered up and booted like there was never anything wrong.  Weird!  We'll see what today brings!