Cursor freezes with pointing stick

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Cursor freezes with pointing stick

• Hi,

For my Dell Latitude D610 laptop, I'm having a problem with the cursor freezing occassionally for about 4-5 seconds with the pointing stick. The cursor doesn't stick when I'm using the Touch Pad or an external USB mouse.

Troubleshooting:
    1. I have uninstalled the Alps Touch Pad driver (R89598.exe) and reinstalled it, but this didn't work.
    2. I have toggled with the settings for the pointing stick in the Control Panel, but this didn't work neither.
    I read that this driver may be outdated, but I couldn't find a more recent driver on the Alps website.

Dell Support can you help me?

Thanks,
    Darren.

• I have the same problem when I received my first D610.  I called dell tech support and they suggested a replacement.  I agreed and they shipped me a new D610.  There was still problem with the pointing stick but less than the first one.  I noticed there were a few dead pixels in the LCD, I asked for a replacement again.  The third one has no dead pixel but the crusor freezing problem is as bad as the first one.

I gave up finally and what I did was to disable the touch pad and no more freezong problem.